03/13/2008, 06:33 AM
got 5 green chromis' yesterday

cant find 2 of them..

carpet 2
chromis' 3 so far

they keep swimming over to him.

Gordonious
03/13/2008, 07:06 AM
So that's probably about the 5th fish people have said they lost to Carpet anemones in the last 3 months. I almost had my hand eaten by one yesterday. Even when fell well these things will eventually get hungry and big. I really think these are animals that should be kept in a species tank and not a community reef.

firecrackerbob
03/13/2008, 08:22 AM
I would agree... I dont have much personal experience with carpets, mainly because of what I have read of them- but- from what I hear carpets will eat just about anything that comes across their way. they seem like they have some tough personalities and are best kept to themselves...
Last years talk at TPP by Calfo really made me think twice about carpets- from what I recall him saying, carpets are one of the hardest hurt of all the animals that are kept in the hobby... very slow to reproduce, very low survival rates after collection, and becoming rarer and rarer in the wild due to the hobby...

davidandliz
03/13/2008, 08:58 AM
we have had him for about 3 years... he ate a couple chromis when we first put him in the tank but none since.. he moved to the back of the tank behind the rock after getting burned from the heater and has been there for the past 9 months. i was thinking about giving him away but im afraid he wouldnt be taken care of and also our sebae are spawning regularly by his base.
i didnt realize they were becoming rare. He was a newbie buy.. we have had our ups and downs with him and i would never buy another one.

davidandliz
03/13/2008, 09:00 AM
hey jon... we got the midnight angel last week and hes in our nano for now... his one eye got this white film over it.. do you knwo what that could be? at first he wasnt eating he just started eating well yesterday.

Gordonious
03/13/2008, 09:28 AM
Errr, Charley has mentioned that there is a certain parasite that the distributors mentioned that love angel's eyes. I would try posting in a couple different forums and get some advice asap. That being said mine French Angle lived for many years with just one eye. Just make sure the animal goes through as little stress as possible and you give it the best chance. I'll e-mail you some other places to look for info.

Jon

davidandliz
03/13/2008, 11:21 AM
its just starting looking like that tues... i think we got him like wed or thur last week and he looked fine... :(
i hope he doesnt die.

davidandliz
03/13/2008, 11:22 AM
is there anything i can give him to help? also will it affect my other fish.

Gordonious
03/13/2008, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure, I am not an expert on fish diseases. Sorry I forgot to PM you that info will do it now.

icy1155
03/13/2008, 02:27 PM
If you can get the fish into a quarintine system you could try using 7-8 drops of methalayne blue in the water and change the water daily for a week. Kinda sounds like the onset of pop-eye (not the spinich eater). If the eye starts to poof out (i dont know how else to describe it) then you should take out of the tank before it can infect any other fish.

davidandliz
03/13/2008, 03:26 PM
it looks like he is loosing his slime protectant and his top fin is white

DamnPepShrimp
03/13/2008, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12078759#post12078759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gordonious
I almost had my hand eaten by one yesterday.

HAHAHA, you sure you don't want him Jon?

DavidandLiz, chromis tend to just die. I always get more then what I wanted, and by the end of the week, I am left with what I wanted. I read that some type of infection is really prone to anthias and chromis. Have you ever noticed any sores or anything on the chromis? I have, and once they have that, it's usually a day before they are dead. I wouldn't blame the carpet just yet, but they do tend to eat fish. Do you have clowns in with the carpet? I've always wondered if they will keep all the fish out.

Tank Predator
03/13/2008, 09:32 PM
i lost my yellow tang and manderin to a green carpet so i sold it

davidandliz
03/15/2008, 01:41 PM
ok this is david now....figure i put little input in .... The carpet is a great color of red that i havent seen since we purchased him but has been doing well for years and most fish know not to go near him... i wouldnt put it as the carpets are pretty nasty to other fish because its not like they can jump out and snatch one out water. I dont know what part of the ocean that this carpet comes from but the issue could be as clear as the chromis dont know it as a threat from the start. Our yellow tang in the begining when we first got the carpet had a brush with the carpet and was partially paralysed for few hours but you can be sure he doesnt touch him anymore...... And for ayone who has not been stung by a carpet let me tell you ... on your hands you dont really feel it but one day i was cleaning the tank and he was on the glass and i brushed him with my arm and let me tell you feels worse than stepping on a jelly fish it took about 6 months after the burning went away and the itching...( first you get the burning after about 4 or 5 days then itches for another 2 weeks) for the scars that it left to go away.

By the Way i dont touch him like that anymore either!!!!