PDA

View Full Version : Best way to connect a 10G frag tank to a sump?

crayolaiii
03/13/2008, 07:57 PM
I've been running over some thoughts on how to best connect a 10G frag tank to a 40G sump that's all in the basement in a nice little work area, directly one floor below the 90G display. I currently have a 40G breeder for a sump, of which section one is where the water will flow in from the drain in the display, the middle section, a nice 24" area for a refugium, and then the last section which contains the skimmer and mag 18 pump to return the water to the display. I have a 10G tank sitting around here and i want to add it to the existing system to give it the same water and filtration... My thought is to add a T off of the drain line, along with a gate valve and supply water to the tank in this manner. Then, drill the tank near the top with a bulkhead to allow the water to drain out and back into the sump. Is this the easiest method to tie this in? And if so, what size bulkhead should I be looking to add to the 10G tank to allow the most common sense amount of flow to roll through there? I'm lost when it comes to hole sizes, bulkheads, etc. Any thoughts on what I'm proposing would be greatly appreciated, and if you have another method that you think would be easier or more straight forward, by all means I'd love to hear what your thoughts are! Thanks so much.

cdbias2
03/14/2008, 11:41 AM
Dont drill that 10g. The glass in too thin.

papagimp
03/14/2008, 11:46 AM
I've drilled several 10g's, non broke yet.

skaterzero22
03/14/2008, 12:50 PM
i think its a great idea. the only thing i would change is if u have enough flow in your display.. i would say T the return line so the frags will be getting water already filtered than have it drain back into the sump so they are never really endanger of getting any waste in that tank. but of course T'ing the return means you should put a gate valve on. all of this depends on if u want to cut down flow in the Display(t-return line) or cut down some flow in the sump(T- drain line) and again.. its all preference IMO.

Agu
03/14/2008, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I've drilled a ten gallon with a dremel with no problem. Just don't torque or twist the plumbing during or after installation.

My tank has 3/4" pvc plumbing drains but it's only handling about 150 gph. Any higher and you'll want to go larger.

pic of the ten gallon plumbing,

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/2P1010033.jpg