PDA

View Full Version : thinking of moving to bigger tank

aaronbaker1
03/13/2008, 09:08 PM
right now i have a 46 bow front i want to move up to mabye a 100 or 125. if i were to do this what i do about adding new sand and rock and the tank cycle. i know it takes a while to get the cycle through. when i moved up to my 46 i had three fish die and a one coral.

LobsterOfJustice
03/13/2008, 09:25 PM
Easiest way is to set up the new tanks plumbing, etc and put your new rock and sand in there. After that settles down you can move over your current rock, sand, livestock, skimmer, etc.

demonsp
03/13/2008, 09:49 PM
With such a big upgrade then setting it up and seeding with LS and some LR from your current tank then letting it cycle would be best. You need powerheads and new lighting and 50 lbs of rock and sand minimum anyway so you need to cycle again.

aaronbaker1
03/13/2008, 10:03 PM
i was afraid of that. so i will have to just go ahead and get it set up and just let it cycle itself with sand and rock and when it is done then move water and livestock over. thanks for the advice

demonsp
03/13/2008, 10:05 PM
If cycled then water not needed but LR and additional LS would be great.

aaronbaker1
03/13/2008, 10:16 PM
i have got an ro water filter on the way here i am picking it up tomorrow at the local pet store. when i do decide to switch i am going to use ro water. i have been going back and forth to the pet store getting ro water to do my water changes.

jwither1
03/13/2008, 10:22 PM
put live sand and figi rock in it and then put some water out of your 46 gal into it. i have done it before and i didnt lose anything

Leandrae
03/13/2008, 11:12 PM
I recently went from a 90 gallon to a 120. I know the best way would have been to set up the 120 and let it cycle while everything else stayed in the 90, however the only place I have for a large tank is right where my 90 was.

I took my livestock to a very trusted LFS and they are watching my babies for me while he new tank cycles. I did lose my cleaner shrimp during the move, but my anemones and fish are perfectly fine. Much safer there than in a cycling tank!

-Janel

aaronbaker1
03/14/2008, 12:52 AM
yeah my local pet store owner is very nice he has helped all along the way the whole year and a half i have been in the hobby. i just moved from appartment about six monthas ago. when i moved i took everything out of my tank ang moved it to him he took care of it all for about a week. he has just set up a 125 coral tank in his store and it is beautiful. i am about to buy a house come spring. and the living room is perfect for that size of tank. the garage is pretty close to the living room im thinking about plumbing everything to it. because now the noise of the over flow box and the skimmer and return pump is quiet noisey. i don't think i will have to upgrade much. my sump i know for sure and my lighting i will need another 250w mh and some more actinic. my skimmer is a typhoon hang on i think it is strong enough for that amount of water because i know it is to much for 46 gallons.

aaronbaker1
03/14/2008, 01:03 AM
yeah the skimmer i have is rated up to 150 gallons i just look on the web site. if you ould like to see it it is at D&Denterprises it is called typhoon hang on. i love this skimmer it emptys itself and works great. it will blow bubbls back into the water is the on;y problem. but if you use it in a sump it is not as bad as on the back of the tank. i have my return pump turned the oposite way and it doesn't do much. there is still a few bubbles but, it is way way not as bad when it was hanging on the back of the tank.