PDA

View Full Version : chromis

RoscoPColtrane
03/14/2008, 08:23 AM
I am looking to add a few blue-green chromis to my 55 gallon. Current occupants are a pair of perculas, flame angel and kole tang. I have read many posts but just wanted some thoughts...

I will either add 3 to the display and hope for the best or buy 3 and keep them in a 10 gallon qt to fatten them up a bit first. I know these fish are fairly fragile but in my experience they don't die of diseases so I'm not sure the hastle of setting up a qt tank will be necessary. My biggest concern is aggression from my flame.

My LFS has X-large and small chromis, I was planning to get the smaller ones. Any thoughts would be appreciated...

haitwun
03/14/2008, 08:27 AM
Always quarantine when possible! I say you fatten them up first, especially if you get the small ones. The smaller they are, the more likely they can be bullied.
I have 6 tiny chromis in my 55 gallon and they look spectacular when they swim in formation. With chromis, the more the better. So I say you get more than just 3. They usually cost just $4 anyway. Good luck!

paulamrein
03/14/2008, 10:39 AM
I agree although in QT they may diminish some of their numbers. I put 6 in a 10g qt wound up with 3 after a 6 week QT. Put them in my 125g and was left with one. There are exceptions to this, but they are known for picking off the weak leaving the biggest and strongest left. Usually only 1 or 2. But, if you start out with some healthy bigger ones with ALOT of hiding places, perhaps you can get some decent numbers. The more the better as haitwun had said.

RoscoPColtrane
03/14/2008, 03:13 PM
I have kept a few in the past and they always seem to die of mysterious causes until 1 is left. Perhaps I will try 5. As much as setting up a qt tank is a pain in the butt, I guess you guys are probably right. At the very least I guess I will leave them in for a few weeks with heavy feeding. I just took my qt down from my perculas a couple of months ago. thanks for the thoughts...

poknsnok
03/14/2008, 03:18 PM
they will bully and eventually kill each other when not fed enough.. see if feeding more helps