PDA

View Full Version : dwarf angels

jamest0o0
03/14/2008, 02:01 PM
well I really like dwarf angels and want to get one for my reeftank(only have zoanthids atm, getting LPS once I get a new tank with better lighting).... is it better to have them in the tank before adding corals to reduce the chance that it will nip them?

btw my tank is only about 3 months old, but I planned to quarantine the angel for a month....

my fav. angels are the flame, lemonpeel, bicolor any info on their behavior would be nice : )

thanks!

Aquarist007
03/14/2008, 02:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12090227#post12090227 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamest0o0
well I really like dwarf angels and want to get one for my reeftank(only have zoanthids atm, getting LPS once I get a new tank with better lighting).... is it better to have them in the tank before adding corals to reduce the chance that it will nip them?

btw my tank is only about 3 months old, but I planned to quarantine the angel for a month....

my fav. angels are the flame, lemonpeel, bicolor any info on their behavior would be nice : )

thanks!

IMO that will not reduce the chance that they will nip coral.
it's a crap shoot with dwarf angels but flame angels and coral beauties "seem" not to bite and nip corals.
the other problem with dwarf angels is that they don't like other dwarf angels.
Sometimes if you introduce them to the tank together they are ok

what I do with angels now and butterflies is use a 30 gal tank as a 4 week observation tank and start trying to get them to feed on other stuff--then once they are doing it I test them with a couple of coral frags---this helps you test out the particular specimen you have

jamest0o0
03/14/2008, 02:19 PM
would the angel do fine in my tank (aside from the possibility it will eat corals)? also in my QT should I keep any sort of substrate or LR? I only have a 10g tank atm, but when I get my larger tank I will use a 40g rubbermaid...

zoocrazy
03/14/2008, 02:53 PM
The angel should be fine in your tank, but its up to the individual angel if its going to nip or consume your coral!

jamest0o0
03/14/2008, 03:49 PM
how many people out there seem to have success with 2 dwarfs? and are there any species you'd suggest because I really love the lemonpeels and bicolors, but I would settle with a flame as well....

Toddrtrex
03/14/2008, 04:02 PM
Like has been said, all angels are different. I could have a flame that doesn't touch a thing, put a different flame in there and he could eat everything, it really is a crap shoot.

However, you can minimize your risks. IMO, lemonpeels and bi-colors are are more apt to eat corals. (( plus I have found bi-colors hard to keep, at least to find a healthy one to begin with ))

jamest0o0
03/14/2008, 04:12 PM
okay thank you guess I'll try the flame angel

reefworm
03/14/2008, 04:14 PM
make sure you have a capture plan. these guys have been known to go months without bothering anything and then start in.

Larah
03/14/2008, 04:16 PM
I have heard that Lemon Peels were a bit harder to keep as well... I have a coral Beauty and she is an "angel" around my corals ;) So far!

Hi Todd! :)

reefworm
03/14/2008, 04:23 PM
It was a CB that killed my open brain after 9 months as a model citizen! :O

jamest0o0
03/14/2008, 04:25 PM
I'll always have a QT ready for misbehaving/sick fish

Larah
03/14/2008, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12091334#post12091334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefworm
It was a CB that killed my open brain after 9 months as a model citizen! :O

Oh MAN!!! That's really really too bad.. I'm sorry to hear that.. and I am now taking heed....
though I will be bummed if that happens, as I really like my CB :(

Guess you have to weight which is more important, the fish or the coral? But still, that's a HUGE Bummer man!

Toddrtrex
03/14/2008, 04:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12091291#post12091291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Larah

Hi Todd! :)

Hey darlin'

I have had two flames ( lost one in a move, a rock shifted and crushed it :( ) neither one touched SPS, zoas, clams and anemones. I can't speak for LPS since I have never actually kept them.

Within days of selling my lemonpeel I noticed greater polyp extension with all my SPS corals. Though it sure was a great looking fish with a good personality.

Aquarist007
03/14/2008, 05:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12091452#post12091452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Larah
Oh MAN!!! That's really really too bad.. I'm sorry to hear that.. and I am now taking heed....
though I will be bummed if that happens, as I really like my CB :(

Guess you have to weight which is more important, the fish or the coral? But still, that's a HUGE Bummer man!

my cb has been a model citizen for over 2 years---except when he tore the snot out of a flame angel I tried to introduce to "his tank"

jwb0126
03/14/2008, 05:22 PM
I had a bicolor for about two months. Not too bad about nipping at anything, but I had to get rid of it as it was EXTREMELY aggressive and actually caused a diamond goby to jump out of the tank to get away. Be careful.

Norward
03/15/2008, 10:44 AM
James, I wouldn't plan to put two angelfish in a tank as small as yours. Here is a really good article from Reefkeeping Magazine on Pygmy (Dwarf) Angelfishes that may help you with your decision-making: www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/index.php

jamest0o0
03/15/2008, 10:54 AM
yeah I know... I just heard some people had success with it and was thinking about trying it with my 135g that I should have set up and ready in a few months