PDA

View Full Version : Tank Strength: DIY Surge Device atop main

zeblisik
03/14/2008, 06:38 PM
So I've made a surge device as illustrated in Bornemans 'Aquarium Coral' book:
a reservoir set above the main(or which ever tank you want to surge) equipped with a flush valve that is continuously being filled with system water. naturally there is an overflow in the reservoir in case something goes wrong.

how my question is....... would it be safe to set a surge tank on top of another tank?

surge tank fills to about 9 gallons, sterilite 42qt garbage can
tank being surged, 29 gallon aga

surge would be resting on wood set on top of the 29g

is this 'safe'? by safe i mean.... is the 29g going to collapse immediately or in the future?

kcress
03/14/2008, 07:06 PM
Well I don't feel to comfortable with it. That's about 80 pounds that won't be uniformly distributed. Then toss in the cyclic nature of the process. I don't think I'd risk it.

If you are talking a garbage can they are designed pretty close to the limit as is. Adding 90lbs to the sides... Also scary.

Can you hang the surge from a pendant? That would be better. Or build a shelf that tags a couple of wall studs. Or make a steel tubing stand. It could be pretty small stuff t hold up 90lbs.

zeblisik
03/14/2008, 07:28 PM
I've since adjusted it, its fewer gallons now, maybe 7 or so. i havnt counted it yet.

check out this youtube video, a guy has the same sort of thing on top of his 70gallon, but its in the middle of the back wall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8-zjXeWxLs

zeblisik
03/14/2008, 08:46 PM
Well everything is set to go. I've weighed the unit with its maximum water and its 57 lbs

thats one big bag of potatoes.
should i let her rip?

i have conflicting emotions.

its less than a filled 10g tank.
would a full 10g tank on top of one side of a 28g destroy it? i dont think so....

kgross
03/14/2008, 09:42 PM
I used to have a 15 gallon fuge that feed a 7 gallon surge mounted above my 150 without any problems. Ran that way for quite a few years until I upgrade to a 180.

Kim

zeblisik
03/14/2008, 10:39 PM
so its up, filled, surge is functioning.......

imminent doom is not apparent.