PDA

View Full Version : my brain on my brain

emonemo420
03/14/2008, 08:48 PM
well if it wasnt for my "wife" i woulda sold my entire set-up tonight but she talked me into keeping it (sick of the M.I.S.T i forget what it stands for im sure sneaky will jump in on that) so imma set the 55 back up with my eel and chromis's and just let it sit for like 2 months and not mess with it (yes yes water changes and the likes) and then start stocking and adding corals and such...i think by then imma buy all new bulbs do i need to buy new actinics or w/e? all they do i add color? i have 4x65 so could someone show me a link preferably on TPP/TFP for the best lights i could get to grow corals and how many of what..i have 2 50/50 and 2 actinic and my corals just dont grow....so well see how it goes....ill keep everyone posted ....:/

Gordonious
03/14/2008, 10:34 PM
Sounds good.

Actinics add color, but they also help certain corals photosynthesize.(or at least their symbiotic algae) You should replace all of your bulbs regularly, but don't do it all at once. If your thinking about putting in new bulbs, it my be cheaper to buyer them all at once, but when ever you buy them just replace them one at a time. One a week is probably a good spread.

emonemo420
03/15/2008, 12:34 PM
Why like that?

Jocephus
03/15/2008, 07:29 PM
Just so you don't stress your corals. If the tank is empty, or just rock, just switch em out.

emonemo420
03/15/2008, 07:31 PM
my rock anenome if it makes it...that green wavy stuff u gave me...and like a mushroom....i definately plan on getting into corals...maybe better water from my apt compared to the dorms will help? idk ryans green stuff u gave him grew like crazy and mine hasnt grown at all

SnEaKyPoLoCk
03/16/2008, 05:25 PM
M.I.S.T (Mystery Involuntary Slaughter Tank) :P

Also about how often should you change your bulbs? I have PCs same as Emo and mine are only about 2months old...

emonemo420
03/16/2008, 08:35 PM
they say 6 months

a1amap
03/16/2008, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12107448#post12107448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by emonemo420
they say 6 months

Usually longer then that,
MH 6-12 months
T5 8-16 months
Vho 8-18 months
The biggest difference would be length of time running. Some only run there big lights for 8-10 hours per day others 12 h. Next would be the brand of bulb and the ballast. Better ballast runs the bulb so it last longer.

Gordonious
03/17/2008, 07:45 AM
"Better ballast runs the bulb so it last longer." Careful, saying that you have to define "better". The secretary of the DVRC has a ballast that runs his MH bulbs twice as strong as they would normally run. Which = half the life time.

emonemo420
03/17/2008, 07:48 AM
then again you have to take into account what your housing...its its a FO tank heck let the bulbs run til the burn out....or if ur running corals that require strict ligthting then you might wanna change out sooner then normal! for ryan and i a 6-12 month rotation would be fine with PC's?

Gordonious
03/17/2008, 08:14 AM
In 2 months he might start eyeing up some of the more difficult to keep corals. This stuff is addicting.

a1amap
03/17/2008, 08:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12109860#post12109860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gordonious
"Better ballast runs the bulb so it last longer." Careful, saying that you have to define "better". The secretary of the DVRC has a ballast that runs his MH bulbs twice as strong as they would normally run. Which = half the life time.

So he is overdriving the bulbs

kaptken
03/18/2008, 11:10 PM
better sometimes means a mix of higher watts or amps, which will reduce the life of the lamps, or higher frequency, which seems to be better, or the way the ballast starts the lamp from cold. some methods are more kindly on the lamp than others. Icecaps seem to have all the good qualities. and a few others, with some minor execptions. so from a cost point of view for similar or specified performance, you can pay anywhere from $35(for 2 VHO lamps,) to $160 a ballast for 4 VHO or T5 setups..

Icecap ballasts over drive the T5 bulbs. they run the 54 watt HO 4 ft. T5 lamps at 80 watts. and more light . but supposedly they do it in a nice way without burning them out. the higher frequency, soft starts and all.