PDA

View Full Version : whacking my duncan

flyyyguy
03/15/2008, 01:19 PM
:D

ok...I just picked up my first duncan. it has about a dozenheads coming off a 2" wide fleshy stalk(skeleton underneath of course)

I have fragged quite a bit so im not clueless......but just want to double check before I take the dremel to this thing

My first inclination in an attemtp to get a 2-3 head frag off is to simply take my dremel and cutting wheel, score the skeleton on the side of the 3 head frag I want off. Let it be and let the heads seperate from the colony themselves, and then when the flesh has sperated on its own and the heads I want off are there own piece then finish the cut

Good plan or any other input???

wee_heavy
03/17/2008, 01:02 PM
The guy I bought mine from just fragged it with a pair of garden sheers at the stalk, one "clip" and it was done.

flyyyguy
03/17/2008, 01:05 PM
this thing has 12-15 heads coming off of the stalk all connected to each other. cutting it off at the stalk will leave me with a 15 head frag.

I kind of want the fat stalk and most heads to remoan in tace. I just want to get a few heads off of it. Ill take a pic and post it later. If I can just cut the heads off in one move im fine with that as well of course...just checking to see what the best way is. :)

thanks for the reply

islandcreation
03/17/2008, 01:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12112356#post12112356 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
this thing has 12-15 heads coming off of the stalk all connected to each other. cutting it off at the stalk will leave me with a 15 head frag.

I kind of want the fat stalk and most heads to remoan in tace. I just want to get a few heads off of it. Ill take a pic and post it later. If I can just cut the heads off in one move im fine with that as well of course...just checking to see what the best way is. :)

thanks for the reply

Always cut down the stalk with out cutting into a duncan head. You can get away with exposing a partial tube but the % gets slim when you begin cutting a head in half. I've cut a head in half and they both healed up fine. Just takes time to heal and feed aggresivly. Their pretty hardy too!

flyyyguy
03/17/2008, 01:58 PM
I need tp shopw a pic of this thing. its a huge stalk with all heads connected. I wasnt meaning I would cut any heads in two, but wanted to cut the heads off of the stalk...but again all are connected.

A picture says a thousand words...Ill post one in a while :)

Thanks for the response

-b

sherm71tank
03/17/2008, 02:04 PM
You can just hack the stalk you want off with the dremel cutting wheel. I've done it many times. It'll slime up on you quite a bit.

islandcreation
03/17/2008, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12112884#post12112884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sherm71tank
You can just hack the stalk you want off with the dremel cutting wheel. I've done it many times. It'll slime up on you quite a bit.

I agree they do slime up big time! I had mine for two years now and when you start off with a frag, heads sprout out but growing a elongated hard stalk takes more time. So for me, I had to nick some heads to frag it out. I used a dremel with a diamond blade, spells like a dentist office after fragging. Be sure to have some WD40 after your done. Spral a dab on the dremels head where it holds the bit. Other wise be prepared for a rusted head that would be locked up. It happened to me with both a dewalt power drill (making holes in live rock) and a multi-speed dremel.

Dustin1300
03/17/2008, 09:26 PM
Give us a pic of it? I would hate to ruin one by taking too large of a risK!

flyyyguy
03/17/2008, 10:52 PM
I had to move it to get a pic which is why its all closed.......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/frags/duncan.jpg

yellowslayer13
03/19/2008, 03:53 PM
you need to put it in a high flow area wait a couple of months and they will seperate

islandcreation
03/19/2008, 06:35 PM
I'd cut down on the two on the top left. The are more defined, plus the other two next to them are horizontal which makes it easy. I just can't see whats on the other side? But just eye balling it I get a dremel and slice down on that section.

belgian_waffleman
03/19/2008, 08:09 PM
I would let it grow for a while so that the stalks are more distinct.

There was a lengthy article in the FAMA magazine (may 08) on Duncan Fragging.

hth

Waffleman