PDA

View Full Version : Petg

lecher
03/16/2008, 07:57 AM
I was wondering how well PETG (polyester) would hold up in salt water? I'm thinking of making a new skimmer. If not PETG, how about clear pvc? Also what would be a good cement/solvent to bond the PETG or PVC to acrylic, so I can use the collection cup that I already have?

Thanks

DEERE G
03/16/2008, 08:37 AM
I fabricated a sump out of PETG before. I used it under a tank for about 3 years with no issues. I used a thermal bender to bend a box and weld a bottom on. There is a solvent cement for PETG, I think Craftics.com or IPS carries it. There are skimmers made of clear pvc. I think the ASM skimmers are pvc. I made phosphate and carbon reactors out of 4" dia. clear pvc pipe. The fittings and such are much more readily availabe for pvc. IPS has solvents for pvc to acrylic bonding. Hope this helps, Keith

lecher
03/16/2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks Keith. After spending about $400+ on acrylic on my last skimmer, I'm looking for a little cheaper materials. I just don't want to make something that would not hold up. Is the PETG and/or clear PVC easier to heat form than acrylic?

DEERE G
03/16/2008, 10:46 AM
PETG heat soaks pretty quick. They all are pretty easy to heat form or get to that "taffy-like " state, for lack of a better word.

RandyStacyE
03/16/2008, 11:39 AM
From what I've found online, I though clear PVC was quite expensive in comparison to acrylic. I may be wrong though. Many have found excellent deals on some odd lengths on eBay for dirt cheap.

Yup, from what I've read ASM skimmers are made of extruded PVC.

I've never had any problems gluing clear PVC using clear PVC cement (or any standard PVC cement).

I've never worked with PETG (polyester) ... at least not that I'm aware of.

lecher
03/16/2008, 01:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12103469#post12103469 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RandyStacyE
From what I've found online, I though clear PVC was quite expensive in comparison to acrylic. I may be wrong though. Many have found excellent deals on some odd lengths on eBay for dirt cheap.

Yup, from what I've read ASM skimmers are made of extruded PVC.

I've never had any problems gluing clear PVC using clear PVC cement (or any standard PVC cement).

I've never worked with PETG (polyester) ... at least not that I'm aware of.

Yeah from what I've found the clear PVC sheet is actually more expensive than cast acrylic sheet. The PETG is quite a bit cheaper than acrylic though. That's what I was interested the most. Esp. whether or not it would hold up in salt water and maintain its clarity.

I really enjoyed making my last skimmer. It is working great. But I'm bored and thought I might try to make a cone skimmer, just for the heck of it. I've got some scrap pieces of acrylic sheet and tubing, but I'm exploring options for the cone body. I'm not sure but I think the ATB skimmers might be either PVC or PETG.

Thanks for the comments