PDA

View Full Version : Is ozone a health hazard?

tonyespinoza
03/16/2008, 06:38 PM
A very reputable guy at a LFS recommended against running ozone for health reasons... A quick look on Google does turn up some very disturbing claims from large health organizations, mostly in reference to to "air purifiers".

Anyone share this concern? Anyone had bad experiences or understand the science well enough to argue it clearly one way or the other?

black_majik
03/16/2008, 07:11 PM
I have had helped a customer who complained of light headedness and headaches when in the room with his tank. I think if properly sealed it shouldn't be a issue

TwistedTiger
03/16/2008, 08:18 PM
Yes if not used properly it can be a health hazard. Go to the reef chemistry forum and look under reef chemistry articles for a series on ozone use by RHF.

HookedOnReefing
03/17/2008, 10:00 AM
I think your LFS guy is misinformed or is just trying to protect you.

While ozone is harmful, when used correctly such as with an ozone reactor or through a skimmer with the use of carbon for the skimmer effluent, and off-couse a redox controller, it is not harmful at all.

It's only harmful to you and your aquarium inhabitanmts when you take shortcuts.

I've used it for years and still do.

j tavares
03/17/2008, 10:19 AM
Ozone is great to use but can cause free radical damage to the body as it is a highly reactive oxidizing agent. Just use properly and you will be alright.

TwistedTiger
03/17/2008, 10:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12110982#post12110982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by j tavares
Ozone is great to use but can cause free radical damage to the body as it is a highly reactive oxidizing agent. Just use properly and you will be alright.
Exactly, much like a gun, used properly can be a safe and useful tool. Used improperly and it can be very harmful. Just do lots of reading and set it up correctly and you will be just fine. Remember a simple rule of thumb when using ozone, if you can smell it you're doing something wrong. Also carbon is your friend!!!

tonyespinoza
03/17/2008, 01:06 PM
thanks for the tips... sounds like something i'll consider for down the road rather than as a starting point on my new tank. i'm just aware that it helps with clarity in larger tanks, but i guess i might not have such an issue since my display tank will be shallow (16" water depth).

-tE