PDA

View Full Version : 75g Setup

kayne_21
03/16/2008, 07:07 PM
Been lurking around for a couple weeks now researching. Just getting my equipment in order before I start putting stuff together and I came up with a couple questions for you folks.

Some background on what I've got in mind so far:
Putting together a 75g system with a DSB and a 20L sump, CoralLife super skimmer 220, mag 7 or 9.5 return and I'm going to try diy a hang over overflow. I'd like to get a fuge in there as well, but want to get comfortable with what I'm doing first. Also thinking 2 modded MJ900 powerheads for in tank circulation. Lighting is currently 4x65w PC's. Think I'm going to swap the bulbs in it though from the 6700k's it came with to 2x 10,000k and 2x actinic.

With the cost of argonite sand from caribsea and the like, is it really worth it? I've been looking around at the local hardware stores for the southdown/OldCastle etc play sand and have been unable to find any.
Do you folks feel the buffering capacity of the argonite sand is worth it's cost considering the pH the tanks are kept at? Or could it be that pods have problems burrowing through the silica stuff?

And live rock. Is the 1+lb/gallon of rock only for live rock? or would that inlcude base as well? I understand the base won't come with all the cool hitchikers, but after time it would build up all the lovely bacteria wouldn't it?

Do you think the mag7 would be hefty enough for the setup I've got lited above? or would I need the 9.5?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the help!

~Don

Fish_wiz2
03/16/2008, 07:18 PM
Hey i'm setting a 75 up to but here are some suggestions:
Drill it trust me it is much easier to use and you don't have to worry about overflowing (i just installed the in tank glass overflow a few minutes ago). The light is fine and the bulb idea is great but if you can do metal halide because you will eventually upgrade (i did i know). The sand is worth it but don't use play sand it is useless and doesn't have a buffering capacity as sand made for aquariums also don't skimp on sand it is a main biological filter. Also do 75 lbs.+ of liverock because base rock is ugly IMO and liverock always goes for sale cheap if you look and is worth it (color, buffering capacity, and bacterial colony). The mag is fine with the help of the powerheads but i'm trying a mag 12 with two returns so i don't need my powerheads.

Roy G. Biv
03/16/2008, 07:19 PM
I spent the extra money on the sand and I love it. I have crappy HD sand in another tank and hate it. It may not be "benificial" but the texture and the color is reallly appealing. There is no more southdown. Someone said that there is an equivelant out there somewhere but IDK.
Silica sand is sharp and can potentially sratch your glass if a piece gets stuck in the magnet. I feel that less critters will burrow in silica sand.

Base rock is dense and less porous. You need the "holes" in the rock to become live rock, so IMO it shouldnt count in that calculation.

I am always opting for stronger pumps on the return because you never know when youre going to T it for something. You could always dial a strong pump back, but you cant do the opposite.

My post seems random, I was just glancing at your post and typing :)

Roy G. Biv
03/16/2008, 07:20 PM
Also search craigs list for live rock. It seems that almost every week someone is taking down a tank.

kayne_21
03/16/2008, 08:24 PM
Great, thanks for the quick replies. As far as the base rock I was talking about it was from Marcosrocks.com. Looks to be the same stuff live rock is, but lacking the coraline alge and hitchhikers.

Fish_wiz2
03/16/2008, 08:25 PM
It will slowly become live also keep us posted i want to see your tank so i can compare to mine. . .hehehe:D

kayne_21
03/16/2008, 08:41 PM
Will do, maybe I'll post some pics once I get some water in it and get it aquascaped :D