PDA

View Full Version : should there be a thread for those who feel overwhelmed?

willis87
03/17/2008, 01:08 AM
even after being in the reef keeping hobby for about ten years i still can be overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. Also it can seems to feel as if after all your investment and hard work you may be over your head. basically i think there should be a thread dedicated to the psychological aspect to reef keeping. For myself i sometimes become paranoid about the current and future of my reef.

willis87
03/17/2008, 01:11 AM
correction (seem to feel)

uscharalph
03/17/2008, 02:22 AM
Looks like you just started one. LOL!!!

reef4me2
03/17/2008, 07:57 AM
Haha! I think I like this thread! Being a full time student, a manager of a restaurant, and a keeper of three dogs, six parrots, and the two aquariums, "overwhelmed" is just a part of everyday life for me! LOL! I've been so close to just selling my reef set-up before (it's far from the best looking reef around, and I've been battling Caulerpa nummularia and varios other algae species for as long as it's been set up), but then I get on here and see everyone else's beautiful tanks, and it reminds me what I love about this hobby! And of course, my birds and dogs are my babies, and worth every bit of work!

mxmarks
03/17/2008, 08:56 AM
Oh man - thanks so much for this thread! I've debated starting one just like it. I've spent over a grand (when I said I never would), and had a tank full of ROCKS for over a month! Just yesterday I finally added a Blenny and 2 clowns - and boy what a good feeling, finally!

Of course, than I look beyond the fish, and see my bubble algae, hair algae, some what I think is apastia, some stuff I need to learn about because I have no idea WHAT it is, think about how I'll be able to afford an RO/DI unit, think about when I move out of this house how I'll move everything, think about how its not QUITE on level ground, even with a ton of shims under it...and the MILLION other things that make me feel like I shouldnt even have started this!!!

But hey, in about 3 months I've had a ton of fun, and have 3 awesome looking fish living in what seems to be bliss, as my water tests are coming out good, and that blenny is LOVING that I dropped him into an all you can eat buffet! As long as SOMEDAY my emerald crab finds that bubble algae, I'll sleep easier...

nstiesi
03/18/2008, 12:49 PM
I'm in this boat. I have a 20 gallon tank with some live rock, some base rock that should be live by now but looks dead, a brittle star, one tomato clown, and some snails. I have 300gph of flow and there is still sediment everywhere. My calcium is low, my alk is high, I am getting no coralline growth under 40W of PC. The tank has been running since october, and didnt even get livestock until after the new year. I have tried and failed 3 times to build my own protein skimmer, as I have a constant film on the water surface. I tried to buy a cheap nano skimmer, but was suckered into the fission (biggest POS ever) without researching it first.

But the chance of success and a pretty little nano reef in the future keeps me going.

seanb1
03/18/2008, 02:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12120812#post12120812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nstiesi
I'm in this boat. I have a 20 gallon tank with some live rock, some base rock that should be live by now but looks dead, a brittle star, one tomato clown, and some snails. I have 300gph of flow and there is still sediment everywhere. My calcium is low, my alk is high, I am getting no coralline growth under 40W of PC. The tank has been running since october, and didnt even get livestock until after the new year. I have tried and failed 3 times to build my own protein skimmer, as I have a constant film on the water surface. I tried to buy a cheap nano skimmer, but was suckered into the fission (biggest POS ever) without researching it first.

But the chance of success and a pretty little nano reef in the future keeps me going. get yourself a sump and an overflow or have your tank drilled and then get a sump.

sumps are very easy to build yourself out of a junk azz tank.

go buy yourself a decent skimmer and a 175 watt metal halide light, they can be gotten cheap in the equipment selling forums on RC.

everything will fall into place.

Tswifty
03/18/2008, 03:11 PM
Ha-ha... tell me about it... I started a 90 gallon build from a used tank that need a TON of TLC and refinishing... One month, too many headaches, too many beers, and too many trips to Lowes to count... I'm finally done with the refinishing... oh yeah, I forgot to mention... My tank is still EMPTY!!!

This will be my first reef, and once I start thinking about all the things I'll have to dose, all the material I need to read up on, feeding requirements, filtration and flow requirements it gets overwhelming quick. The only thing that gets me through is advice from other experienced members here on RC, and knowing how awesome it's all going to look once it's done.

Here's the build (aka shameless plug)
90g reef build thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1310919)

kings101stgirls
03/18/2008, 04:45 PM
I bought a 20 gal saltwater tank, that was already set up and thriving, from a pet store. My husband and I have always wanted a saltwater tank. A few days after I got it home and set back up again, all my fish had died. I took a sample of the water in and was told my nitrites were off the chart. I changed 5 gallons of the water and got a few more fish. They have died too. How long should I wait to get more fish after I change the water? I am wanting a thriving tank before my husband gets home for his midtour in August. I have a horseshoe crab, some shrimp, sea anemones, hermit crabs, snails, rocks and a plant that are still alive. I would like something that swims.

jwb0126
03/18/2008, 04:57 PM
I love this thread. I can see this one going on for awhile. I share all the same sentiments as everyone mentioned above and will definately be getting on this thread to vent every once in awhile.

My girlfriend is finishing her master in marriage and family therapy...maybe I'll put her on here every once in awhile so that she can help straighten us all out. I think I may have just found a new career path for her. Start looking for counseling at your local LFS in the near future! Haha!!!

Tswifty
03/18/2008, 06:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12122675#post12122675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kings101stgirls
I bought a 20 gal saltwater tank, that was already set up and thriving, from a pet store. My husband and I have always wanted a saltwater tank. A few days after I got it home and set back up again, all my fish had died. I took a sample of the water in and was told my nitrites were off the chart. I changed 5 gallons of the water and got a few more fish. They have died too. How long should I wait to get more fish after I change the water? I am wanting a thriving tank before my husband gets home for his midtour in August. I have a horseshoe crab, some shrimp, sea anemones, hermit crabs, snails, rocks and a plant that are still alive. I would like something that swims.
You should post a seperate individual thread in the forum stating that exact post... you will get a lot of responses.

jonrn
03/18/2008, 06:23 PM
i was so happy the first day the tank was delivered. assembled everything like the plumbing and adding water. when i turned on the pump, all the connections just leaked like fountain. i think that was atleast 3 gallons that spilled. had to re-do everything, ( whoohoo, no more leaking after i added extra teflon, twisted it tighter and placed some hose clamps) i can sleep better now but sometimes it makes me paranoid that i will make a flood. now, im having trouble with the cloudiness in my water( see my thread). not to mention financial involvment its really not easy, i just hope it will pay off at the end