PDA

View Full Version : Will this Stylo make it???? (pics)

SteveNMegz
03/17/2008, 12:41 PM
Hey guys,

we picked up a couple frags on the weekend, and we just noticed today that the stylos skin is gone on one of the tips. What do we do? It could have been sold to us like that and we just didn't see it.

tonight we'll be looking for critters on it or any others. but what is the procedure for situations like this????

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/MegznSteve/012.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg22/MegznSteve/005-4.jpg

Thanks for hte help!

Capt_Cully
03/17/2008, 01:28 PM
I think ya just gotta watch it. I've posted about RTN before. I'd heard that a lugol's dip might help, but the majority did not agree. Others said frag it, but you're dealing with a frag, so bag that idea. I've certainly seen corals come back from worse, and stylo's grow pretty well, so you might be ah-ite.

Make sure your tank params are stable and within normal limits. Stabiliy will be key to that coral's survival.

SteveNMegz
03/17/2008, 01:43 PM
cool, thanks capt!

nay idea if placing it in lower light or lower flow for now would help it regrow that skin?

Capt_Cully
03/17/2008, 01:49 PM
If it makes it, it should just encrust right over that area.

When I moved to a new house and a larger tank, I had alot of corals stressed way out. I did lose a few, most made it, some came back from the brink of oblivion.

They whited out, some I fragged, some I just left alone. They re encrusted over their old skeleton. It looked almost like candle wax pouring over. I just got 3 or 4 free frags fom a friend. They were browned out and some had started to white out. I mounted them and left them. ALL of them are coming back. I'll try to post a pic of the more dramatic ones later.

So, if I had to advise you, I'd say, put it somewhere middle of the road and DON'T touch it for a while. Let it settle.

BTW, that is a sick stylo!!! I just got one of those a few months back. Unreal under actinics!!!

SteveNMegz
03/17/2008, 02:01 PM
we'd love to see some pics of them coming back, and of your stylo if you got one!

yah, we can't wait til all the polyps are fully extended a bright neon green. they look so cool.