PDA

View Full Version : Some good starter corals

mxmarks
03/17/2008, 01:13 PM
I'm looking to add my first starter corals, and was wondering if anyone has a favorite that is great to look at, and pretty hardy. I'm in no rush, so I can let the tank mature, and whatever else is needed, but after adding my first fish last weekend, I'd like to kick off my research on corals now.

I have an orbit overhead light that has 2 daylights and 2 actinics, as well as a strip of moon led's, which from what I've asked seems to be sufficent for certian corals.

Any help is always appreciated!

Capt_Cully
03/17/2008, 01:19 PM
Depends on what you want to keep LPS, SPS, sofites?

Shrooms and polyps are always good starters. Euphyllia are nice to look at and pretty hardy (hammers, frogspawn, torches).

there's so many different directions to go, give us a little more info about what you like

mxmarks
03/17/2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks Capt! I guess I'm just looking for something like a Clownfish - a very good looking fish, that will tolerate my beginner mistakes.

I have a hard time trusting most websites and defintaley my LFS, as when I was researching fish I found a lot of variety in if something was good for 'beginners'. So I thought asking everyone here, who was a beginner once, if there's a coral type that they enjoy, but that the care level (in terms of water params...mine are fine now, but as I learn and add, I'm sure I'll screw up at some point) for someone who has NEVER kept corals is ok.

I saw something at my LFS - I believe frog spawn - that was a vibrant green, and very cool looking.

Also, at some point on here someone told me that a certian type of coral should be avoided (LPS, SPS...) because of my lighting situation which I mentioned above. I'll try to dig that post up.

I guess I was thinking that instead of seeking out cool corals, only to find I can't have it (like I learned with anemonies, at this point), I was wondering if people had anything that they thought really added to thier tank, and a beginner could handle, and I'd decide it from there =)

Thanks!

Leviathan_XE
03/17/2008, 01:59 PM
There are a bunch, just depends on your preference. I'm a zoanthid fan myself. Just check out the zoanthid forum here. There are TONS of color variations and it's been my experience that zoos are VERY forgiving. I've had zoos survive through some of the most abhorrid water conditons. And with pristine water quality they do very well, you can easily start with one polyp and a few months later have a nice size colony on your hands.

mrSnoid
03/17/2008, 02:23 PM
Soft coarls are your best bet when starting xenia,kenya tree(capnella), frogspawn are all very easy to carefor.
Sps digitata are fairly easy and can be kept under low light

jubjub
03/17/2008, 02:31 PM
i vote for mushrooms first...hardy boogers i swear...when i moved my tank i didnt even aclimate or anything just dumped um in..and they are great still.... also frogspawn is another good suggestions and maybe a candy cane coral are good options

lowincwrx
03/17/2008, 04:09 PM
xenia is fun too look at and pretty cheap

jamest0o0
03/17/2008, 04:13 PM
I love zoanthids... great for starting out don't need a ton of light or special attention and very colorful.... I personally am not a big fan of mushrooms, but that is just me

jerrym21
03/17/2008, 04:24 PM
one of my first was a finger leather. . .he is still going strong even after my many beginner mistakes.

Meeshi_ma
03/17/2008, 05:45 PM
xenia is good - if there ever is a nuclear disaster, I'm convinced the only things that will survive is cockroaches and xenia.

Seriously, the stuff lasts through anything. Which can be a bad thing if someday you want to get rid of it... But it is fun to watch and is definitely hardy.

Frog spawn is really cool looking stuff, it will take a little more work though (and would benefit from a little target feeding)

Polyps and 'shrooms are another great idea - they grow quickly and you'd be able to pass some on to other people before too long.

Good luck on whichever you pick, make sure you post pictures!

Chago09
03/17/2008, 06:21 PM
I am surprised that no one mentioned aptasia??? this stuff is so hardy that you can't even kill it if you want to LOL

Well I am a reef nooby myself and I have bought a frogspawn and a hammer and both have really been like keeping rock LOL I just put them in, set a timer on the lights and really thats it LOL

mxmarks
03/17/2008, 06:28 PM
Ugh, aptasia. I seemed to be fine, because I never saw it, but suddenly its taking over. That and bubble algae. I bought an emerald crab, and he likes to...sit.

So now Im looking into what eats aptasia, and if some of these other finger/claw looking things are aptasia as well.

But my problems aside, thanks so much to everyone! Ive got a lot of new directions to look in now (and right now Im thinking of some zoas and a frogspawn), but Ill be sure to let everyone know how it goes. Keep the suggestions coming if you have any more!

lwaxman
03/17/2008, 06:59 PM
frogspawn is my favorite, i like things that sway, sway or still you choose. i choose sway, it makes me know they are alive,

ITS ALIVE!!!!

Chago09
03/17/2008, 07:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12115280#post12115280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lwaxman
frogspawn is my favorite, i like things that sway, sway or still you choose. i choose sway, it makes me know they are alive,

ITS ALIVE!!!!

agreed, I am not so crazy about corals that are like colourful rock. I don't see it move so its like :eek1:....... boring!!!

jamest0o0
03/17/2008, 07:29 PM
1 peppermint shrimp got rid of all my aiptasia in 2 days

ahullsb
03/17/2008, 07:45 PM
Just remember that these "easy starter corals" can eventually act like weeds in your system. Once you get the hang of it, soft corals like xenia, anthelia, GSP, etc can take over an entire tank. I would try some of the easier LPS personally or find something that isn't going to cause an outbreak eventually...

paramedicma
03/17/2008, 07:45 PM
Frogspawn is great, except that is if you ever plan to use cyanobacteria treatments. This stuff caused my frogspawn to close and wouldnt open untill I moved it to my hospital tank. Killed off my mushrooms too!!!

reefworm
03/17/2008, 07:55 PM
I would second the Euphylia varieties - Frogspawn, Anchor/Hammer as good LPS starters. Not too light demanding, just target feed them 2-3X per week. Also, I'd recommend Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals as a great resource for your library - a must have if you're going to keep these animals.

Also, excellent warning from ahullsb on softies becoming weeds - Xenia and green star polyps are great examples of that. But then, they're easy to frag and trade for other stuff - even food and equipment at your LFS