PDA

View Full Version : Re-starting a tank, intend to using sulfur denitrification.

herring_fish
03/17/2008, 02:10 PM
I am re-starting a tank and intend to use sulfur denitrification. I am trying to get feed back to help me do it right.

I have two 6” diameter clear plastic tubes. So far, I intend to fill one with a 50-50 mix of sulfur pellets and calcium carbonate gravel. Water will inter from the bottom and flow up through the media. From the top of the first tube, the effluent will pass over to the second tube at the top. It will be full of more calcium carbonate gravel. Water will pass down through the gravel before returning to the sump.

I have a rendering posted on my (non-commercial) web site which I will update as I get further into the project.

demonsp
03/23/2008, 02:16 AM
Sorry cant help there. I would wait a few months myself though.Let the tank cycle and grow.Trying to speed up a cycle can actualy cause it to last longer. If you know all this im sorry just trying to help.

packer
03/23/2008, 06:00 AM
To work it needs to be anerobic. Very slow drip rate flow. And without internal recirc can form dead clogged spots and produce hydrogensulfide. A simple process in how they work, but a bit complicated in DIY design makeup.

herring_fish
03/23/2008, 01:35 PM
Before I wrote my inquiry, I read a lot of articles on the subject, including translations from French. I also read the link that was mentioned on the DIY thread.

His thread was straight forward and easy to understand how to make a re-circulating denitrifier. Unfortunately, I must confess that I don’t know anything about the recycling type system of or its advantages. I have only read about the straight throw types. Are straight throw denitrifiers just for very large system?

In another thread, I read about dead spots that could produce more hydrogensulfide in a straight through system. This is new to me. Could you shed more light on this subject and the advantages of a re-circulating system because the DIY thread made me believe that it needed to be bled? Also, he took his system off and on line often which lead me to believe that he was doing a lot of testing and baby sitting of the system.

I know that effectiveness requires expense and work but the straight through method is very simple, if not compact.

Could anyone please dispassionately explain the pros and cons of both systems?