PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use milk crates for holding LR?

daveverdo
03/17/2008, 06:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used cut up plastic milk crate to support rock structures. It seems much stronger than eggcrate and is already formed in shapes usable for support.

I was also thinking of using one to hold LR in my sump.

Dave

avp
03/17/2008, 07:51 PM
I've seen milk crates used in big tanks (8'x4'x3'). They were used to support the rock structure and to cover the closed loop returns all in one fell swoop.
One other side benefit, was they provided shelter for smaller fish that could fit through the openings when harrased.

-avp

pex
03/17/2008, 08:00 PM
<b>I was also thinking of using one to hold LR in my sump.</b>

That actually sounds like a good idea if you have the room in your sump. If you set it on top of some PVC couplings or something of the like you would have circulation all around the rock, and it would also be easy to vacuum any detris out from underneath it.

dogstar74
03/17/2008, 09:51 PM
I have used it in the past. I used the crates that you get from Kmart for crafts I think they were in the stationary area, like when you buy school supplies for your college student. I bought two big sized ones and another smaller one, then cut the larger ones down to about 3 inches. And put the smaller one in the middle. After cutting out the center supports leaving only the corners intact, they made some really cool caves when the rocks were attached to the outsides of them.

Good luck
Aaron