PDA

View Full Version : Quiet One Pump multiple failures.

rascole
03/18/2008, 06:33 AM
just recently lost my 5th. Quiet One 14000 pump in less than 6 months.
I bought 2 from Dr.Foster & Smith in June 2007 and put them in service in late July 2007. Because the first pump went bad after the return limit from DRF&S I had to send it to Pentair Aquatics on my dime. This happened twice. After the third pump went bad they paid for return shipping. This happened 2 more times. I have spoke with them on numerous occasions and they are apologetic but the fact that the pumps die every couple of months is unacceptable.
I spoke with Gene there and he is refunding my money for the pumps, fingers crossed, this week. I have been fortunate that I have not lost any fish or damaged my UV as a result. My 4 Koralia #4s have saved my tank.
I original bought the pumps because I was looking for the quietest pumps out there. My tank is in my family room so silence is golden, tanks should be seen and not heard.
I am looking for a replacement, any suggestions. My friend at the LFS suggested the Dolphin AMP Master ES5500, EFFICIENCY is paramount.
I am looking for @ 2000 to 2500 GPH @ 8' of head

mattiej
03/18/2008, 07:18 AM
I, too have lost three Quiet One pumps in the last six months. I also hate that after some use the impeller, even when clean, will not start up after a pump shut down. Anyway if you do not need an internal pump the Little Giant 'Quarium series are great pumps that are relatively quiet. They can really move water. I will be replacing my fourth Quiet One with a Little Giant this weekend in fact. For submersible applications you can't go wrong with the Supreme Mag Drive pumps.

cloob
03/18/2008, 07:21 AM
I've been running my QuietOne 1200 pump for a year and have had no issues. I do clean it once a month. Maybe it's the larger pumps that are having some issues??

mattiej
03/18/2008, 07:34 AM
The ones I have had to replace where the 4000HH and 5000.

rascole
03/18/2008, 08:40 AM
After I talked to Gene at Pentair, he said that the starter circuitry was bad in several models. When over heated, the pump would fail. This is a known problem from them and they refuse to pull their products from the shelves. I called Dr. Foster & Smith and they have not heard of any such issues from them either. Looking at several other fourms, this has been an ongoing problem for well over a year.

Fishbulb2
03/18/2008, 09:23 AM
I have a QO3000 and it never restarts. I don't use it in my tank anymore. Perhaps someday I'll use it mix salt when I get a bigger tank. I replaced it with an eheim and I am so relieved that I did.