PDA

View Full Version : Frozen vs flake food

laxing22
03/18/2008, 08:39 AM
I have had my 30h for a couple years now. (can I still call it a nano? Has a 20 footprint) It is lightly stocked (pair o'clowns, Bangi, and Yellow Gobie.) 30ish so lbs of LR, 400gph HOT filter and a SC150 skimmer (I know they stink, but a 150 rated on a 30 should be ok)
Anyhow, my fish and corals prefer frozen food, but a block of mysis or brine can be much for all to eat (plus the cyclops ease for the inverts). I have noticed that water changes are need a lot more when I feed frozen on a regular basis over feeding flake or pellets.
Back in the day when I had a large tank, this was never an issue. Anyone else have this problem with nano's? Do you break the cubes in half? Just deal with the H2O changes? I have thought about adding a sump for more water volume, but don't have a lot of room. Is it a big difference?

Illuminati
03/18/2008, 09:03 AM
Here's a tip:

Get one of those Saturday - Sunday pill holders from a drug store, you know the kind on your grandparents table :)

I cut a block of mysis or brine into 4 pieces and put the pieces in that container. Every day is measured out with a variety of food (Mysis, brine, rod's food, formula 1, etc...)

laxing22
03/18/2008, 09:56 AM
That's a great idea Illuminati. Prob keeps it a lot fresher. :)

melanotaenia
03/18/2008, 06:37 PM
I always rinse the frozen under water then fill a small cup with RO water, dump in some of the mysis, swish around with some zoe or the like, and dump it in the tank; never had problems that way..

When I broke up the cubes directly into the tank without thawing out under water first, it does tend to cloud up and funk up the tank.

laxing22
03/19/2008, 06:21 AM
Funk the tank may be the best description yet. It just seems I need to do water changes more often when I use frozen. I feel bad as the fish really seem to prefer the frozen food.

On a side note, anyone notice more funking issues when adding DT's?