PDA

View Full Version : Precipitation and levels

ostrow
03/18/2008, 07:41 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself had his first precipitation event after 5 years in the hobby. But I'm not sure exactly why.

My kalk is on a continuous drip to match evaporation. The water level was higher at the end of the day (when I discovered the mishap), probably due to warmer/more humid weather and less evaporation. But the kalk was dripping at the same rate, no more was added to the system than normal.

My calcium reactor is functioning normally, pH of effluent is 6.55.

I have the chambers filled with hydrocarbonat (Aqua Medic) and with some dolomite in each for magnesium.

Here are my levels:

Salinity 1.0255 today, same as yesterday

Alk 140ppm (lamotte kit), was 165 48hrs ago

Cal 355 (salifert), was 420 48hrs ago

Mg 1130. Now I stopped regularly testing as it was holding rock steady at 1350 after I started with the dolomite in the reactor.

So, would Mg be affected by a precipitation event, or would a gradual drop, if that was happening, to that low a level mess things up for alk/cal and cause the precipitation?

Why would Mg drop with dolomite in my reactor? Any idea?

Or.... ???

I've started the recovery by boosting magnesium back to 1300, and will gradually lift alk and cal to their former levels. Did half today, will retest in 24hrs and then finish off.

But I'd like for this not to happen again. If anyone has suggestions.

Thanks!
Joel

bertoni
03/18/2008, 08:16 PM
Did you happen to measure the tank's pH? None of those numbers seem high enough or low enough to cause a precipitation event.

I don't run calcium reactors, so I can't help with the dolomite issue.

ostrow
03/18/2008, 08:56 PM
pH was a tad higher when I got home than normal. Usually highest it gets is about 8.1 Today it was 8.25.

bertoni
03/18/2008, 09:25 PM
Hmm, a pH spike might cause a precipitation event. Do you see the precipitate settling to the bottom of the tank?