PDA

View Full Version : Diatom Bloom

Snowsrfr
03/19/2008, 03:23 PM
I have a 29 gallon Biocube that I set up about 2 months ago, and lately it's been experiencing some major diatom blooms on the sand. While I set the tank up only 2 months ago everything, sand, water, and rock, all came from my 65 that I took down and just transfered that stuff straight over. I use RO/DI water with 0 TDS, run the stock return pump, and a Koralia Nano for circulation. Chamber 1, I removed the stock filter and added the Oceanic skimmer, Chamber 2 consists of live rock, filter pad, Chemi-Pure, filter pad, charcoal, and chamber 3 is just the return pump. The only test results I have checked recenlty are Ca - 400, Alk - 10.3 (or right around there), and iodine. I run the lights from (stock PC lighting) from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.. Any thoughts on what else to check? What my problem could be?

chromiumlux
03/20/2008, 08:08 AM
Hello Snowsrfr
I have a 14 gallon biocube that I set up a couple weeks ago after my rock cured. I did quite a bit of research on this tank and found that there was not enough flow from the stock pump. So, I upgraded the return pump to an MJ900 and also added the Koralia nano for more dispersed flow. I did mod the center overflow chamber for a fuge, but I am using only cheato in that area as I have plenty of rock in the display tank. I too am using the Oceanic skimmer in chamber 1. The only form of mech filtration I am currently using is Chemi Pure Elite 1/2 size in return sump. Lighting is upgraded to 3.24 72 watt from nano-tuners. I still dont think I have enough flow even in this little 14 gallon.