PDA

View Full Version : need some assistance please

woogy
03/19/2008, 09:02 PM
My tank is only about 3 1/2" from the wall. My refugium needs at least 4 1/2" to go on the back of the tank. The option of putting it on the side is not going to work cuz the legs from the lighting hang on there. I know stupid me:p

Anyhow, I was thinking of emptying out about 20 gallons and move the tank up about 3". Should I empty more? I don't want to crack the stand or tank obviously so any suggestions would be helpful.

jarrett
03/19/2008, 09:30 PM
get a 30g trash can (new) and empty all the water in there and put all your live stock in and rock. then move the tank and stand, re level it all and away you go

woogy
03/19/2008, 09:38 PM
so empty it all?...will my live rock be affected by it? Does any trashcan work? I thought you may need to get a certain one.

zebrafish
03/19/2008, 09:39 PM
When you originally set up the tank how much was it off from being level? That would be my determining factor in what I would do. If you are off just a bit take out half the water and move it with help from a friend. If you had to shim the tank a lot to get it level then take it down further. If the water is only going to be out of the tank for a few minutes you should not suffer any major loss. You did not mention if you have fish or corals eight. I just see hermits and such. Tank inhabitants would be something to consider as well.

lobstergrabber
03/19/2008, 09:40 PM
Any clean trash can will work. As long as you can get the water out, move and relevel tank and then get everything back in quickly you won't have any problems. If it will take a while then put all the live rock in the cans, fill them with tank water and throw a powerhead in there. Would be fine like that for days.

Rich

jarrett
03/19/2008, 09:44 PM
i moved a 33g when it was like a 1/4 full and one of the bottom corners started leaking after that, the rock and everything will be fine if its only out of the water to move it to the can,rubbermaid also makes a 25g container

memorisa
03/20/2008, 07:58 AM
if you are *not* (edit: forgot not) using a new trashcan, make sure to use one that has not come into contact w/ any chemicals