PDA

View Full Version : What material/size tube for steel stand???

stunreefer
03/20/2008, 08:30 AM
Hey guys, I've opted to get a steel-stand made for my new set-up. I cannot stand the 40" height of my wood stand I have now (got it with the tank), its just too tall. The new stand will have a footprint of 60"x44", and will stand 30" high. I'm wondering what type of material to use? Carbon steel, stainless steel, iron, other? I plan on painting whatever I get to protect it, maybe even rhino-line it. Also, what size square bar should I use, 1.5" or 2" or other?

Obviously I would like it to be very sturdy, and the lightest and cheapest possible. I dont want to sacrifice sturdiness to save a few bucks though, thats for sure.

Any input/help is greatly appreciated!

Here is a pic of what I'm going for, probably without the self-leveling feet (photo of Dudesters stand on his new set-up):
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/stunreefer/steelstand.jpg

stunreefer
03/20/2008, 09:03 AM
I was told in another thread that carbon steel would be sufficient, as long as you paint it, and would be very cost-effective. LMK what you guys think.

aastretch64
03/20/2008, 09:29 AM
Why not just go all out an use 316 stainless steel electropolished...LOL

Alex

stunreefer
03/20/2008, 09:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12136394#post12136394 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aastretch64
Why not just go all out an use 316 stainless steel electropolished...LOL

Alex
$$$$$$!!! LOL

stunreefer
03/28/2008, 12:23 PM
I'm in the process of getting quotes right now, and I need to know what wall thickness I should use? it will be made from 1.5" O.D. carbon steel, but I had no idea on what the wall thickness should be? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Austin

sjames
03/28/2008, 12:47 PM
sounds like your going way overkill. Carbon steel? Is this going to be welded? or mechanically fastened? Im sure 1018 or A36 would be fine.

stunreefer
03/28/2008, 12:50 PM
I dunno my steels that well I guess. I was told to use carbon steel and powder coat it, or SS, but thats so expensive. Its going to be welded by our welder at work. I dont know what 1018 or A36 means, but I assume they are different kinds of steels.

sjames
03/28/2008, 01:00 PM
1018 is normal mild steel, A36 is another low carbon steel.

They all have carbon, just the amount varies, maybe were talking about the same thing.

High carbon steel will require preheating and post welding heat treatment to retain its properties. Which would drive your costs up.

stunreefer
03/28/2008, 01:36 PM
I think my purchaser at work just addresses things as either "carbon steel" or "stainless steel". I can get what the supplier calls "carbon steel", "SS 304", or "SS 316". I think we are proly on the same page, just a name game.

stunreefer
04/06/2008, 09:09 PM
What size "wall" does the steel tube have to have?

I guess there are sereval "wall thicknesses" that can be purchased. I assume that it doesn't have to be that thick, but LMK what you guys think.

Thanks!

stunreefer
04/07/2008, 06:48 AM
Please, anybody help with this as I'm wanting to order the materials today!

Thanks in advance!

Konadog
04/07/2008, 07:54 AM
stunreefer, I used 2 x 2 carbon steel, I think it was 1/8th thick. When it was done you could park a tank on it, a 225 to be exact :D

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9086Stand.JPG

Coated in Line-x truck bed liner:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9086stand3.JPG

Here is a great steel stand build thread, lots of ideas:
Let's see those steel stands! (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1330053)

stunreefer
04/07/2008, 08:17 AM
Yes, yes, yes!

Thats exactly what I'm looking for Ken, thanks so much!!!

If your willing, could you inform me the cost of the truck-bed liner you had sprayed on there?

Thanks Again!

-Austin

Konadog
04/07/2008, 09:03 AM
Austin, I was lucky enough to know someone that worked at Line-x ;) and was only charged for material. I was told that it would cost around $300/350 to have it done.
Personally, even at that price it would be worth it to me!

sl-atl
04/07/2008, 10:53 AM
That stand is freaking awesome!

Stunreefer, have you looked into Unistrut? You can get it galvanized, and would not require welding to assemble. It would also provide an easy way to attach pipe hangers, electrical, etc. later on.

Konadog
04/07/2008, 11:18 AM
You could use unistrut, but IMO it would have the same quality as a wood stand, the possibility of it moving due to the fact that every connection is a pivot point. With a welded stand, it's solid with no movement at all.

stunreefer
04/07/2008, 11:28 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For anyone else interested.... use that link that konadog left, thats an awesome thread!!!:D

stunreefer
04/07/2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I may be keeping my wood stand now.:rolleyes:

I was looking at it at lunch, and the main reason I wanted the steel was to shorten my overall tank height. The stand is 40" tall, which is kinda high. Its perfect for me viewing when standing, buit I feel its a little high when I'm sitting. I also like to look down into my tanks, which would require a stool in this case, also makes it harder to place/fix corals.

My wood stand is done though, and I could sure use the $500 or so towards live rock and other goodies instead of replacing a stand I already have. The initial plan was to get the steel stand built when I move in a couple years so I dont have to deal with the wood stand, and I'll have $ to spend on it then too, I think I'll stick with this. If I were to get the steel stand now, I would be pulling funds from the tank-builds' budget, setting me back further and further.

Here is how it looks now:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/stunreefer/img_4081.jpg

We'll see though as plans do change.........

Konadog
04/07/2008, 12:00 PM
If it ain't broke...................... :)

Personally, my stand it 40" tall and I wouldn't trade it for the world! I view my tank 90% of the time with my nose against the glass, I hate bending over. I also love the room under the stand, easy to work on the sump and equipment.

Nice tank BTW :thumbsup:

stunreefer
04/07/2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks man, thats also very encouraging to keep my stand!

I will definently have a steel stand built when i move though so I dont have to deal with this crazy beast of a wooden stand. Then I can also determine the perfect height, rather than having to rush it. Taking it apart again and putting it back togather again... I think it would drive me out of the hobby! LOL!