PDA

View Full Version : maturity

drakestraw
03/20/2008, 08:59 AM
can a tank mature after only two weeks of being setup?

NewFish3
03/20/2008, 10:06 AM
Its only been an hour since you did another post ( water changes ). When its still the morning yet, you need to give it more time for people to respond. Some of the BIG fist ( RC TEAM ) aren't always here yet.

adam82
03/20/2008, 11:48 AM
mature no cycle yes

cwilson
03/20/2008, 01:08 PM
youre on your way to having a mature tank. right now your tanks in puberty :lol:

you could prob get a few littel inverts (snails, small hermits, that kind of thing) if your jonesing for livestock

Brent F
03/20/2008, 01:28 PM
Reef tanks take 6 months to a year to fully mature. A tank can cycle in a couple weeks but is no where near being mature.

Alaska_Phil
03/20/2008, 06:16 PM
I like to let new tanks sit with nothing but live rock, snails and hermits in them for at least 3 months before adding corals or fish. You'd be amazed at the amount of pods, tube worms and all sorts of other micro fauna that appear in that time with no predation.

I'd say get 6 or 7 small snails, Nerites, Cerith and Trochus are my favorites for small tanks. And 3 or 4 hermits for now. Feed it a little phyto a couple times a week, sit back and watch all the cool little critters emerge. :) It also gives you plenty of time to eliminate any pests that turn up, Aptaisa for instance, find any problems with your equipment and figure out your top-off needs. Plus you'll probably rearange your live rock a few times too. ;)

Just my personal preference.
Phil

Radioheadx14
03/20/2008, 08:02 PM
I had my old 75g Cycle in 3 days... it was all cured live rock from a dude that aqua cultures it near me. While I had no ammonia, nitrites and minimal nitrates, I still had common cycle symptoms like algae growths, sponge growth spurts etc. Maturity comes with time... lots of time. Even when I downsized my tank... I still had a mini cycle and algae blooms