PDA

View Full Version : alternative to using turkey baster to blast live rock

Ronny#66
03/20/2008, 09:08 AM
I took a small power head atatched a small length of plastic tubing to outlet . instaled a plastic ball valve to adjust amount of pressure I want . stick head in tank and wella . You can put a piece of curved plasic on end of tubing to get into hard to reach places. Maybe this has already been discussed but i just made one to clean up mess sand sifter gobie is makeing of my 25 gal set up.

A.VOID
03/20/2008, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a lot of work vs. a $1.49 turkey baster.

Mine gets lots of use, plus I can suck food up into it for spot feeding.

Good plan though for doing a lot of spraying at once.

ACBlinky
03/20/2008, 12:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12137422#post12137422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by A.VOID
Sounds like a lot of work vs. a $1.49 turkey baster. Agreed. Powerheads are great for really going to town on the rockwork, but for the weekly 'dusting' I tend to just baste the rocks. When I want to do a heavy-duty cleaning, I usually hook up the diatom filter, then stir up as much detritus as possible -- I shake out the chaeto in the fuge, use a small powerhead behind the rocks, and scrape coralline and film algae from the tank walls with a razor blade. Makes for a wet Saturday afternoon, but the corals always look fantastic the next day :)

seapug
03/20/2008, 12:52 PM
I love my turkey baster so much a built a holster for it out of duct tape I wear while doing maintenance. Even has a built in drip tray made from a lid from a can of spray paint.

Long live the baster.

epstein
03/20/2008, 01:04 PM
hehe I rock my baster every other night........The Baster is More Gooder....

Ronny#66
03/20/2008, 06:25 PM
I want one of them there holsters I still like the power head i need it after the gobie does his work. Actualy need a dozer .