PDA

View Full Version : Water movements

Cabj1970
03/20/2008, 09:20 AM
I have a 155 bow reef ready and I was wondering how many or what kind of power head I should get. I am looking to do a mix reef so I wanted to make sure that I have good water movement

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

aastretch64
03/20/2008, 09:24 AM
If you plan on keeping SPS in your mix tank I would have enough powerheads to turn the water 40-50 times. In your case you could use 4 powerheads pushing 2000 gph a piece for example.

Alex

Cabj1970
03/20/2008, 01:30 PM
I here people talk about this Maxi jet 1200 with the upgrade kit but the noise is crazy but at the same time you can get super flow for about 40.00 each. What are your thoughts

ACBlinky
03/20/2008, 02:45 PM
I'd invest in some Tunze pumps -- the new nanostreams are about the size of a maxi-jet but much more powerful, with widely dispersed flow and no risk of anything getting stuck to a small intake. The maxi-mods are designed to try and approximate this type of pump, but honestly for the small difference in price I'd get the real thing.

I have two Tunze nanostream 6045s, a Seio 820, and a split locline return from the dialed-back Mag 9.5 return pump (~500gph). In all, just over 40X turnover. It was a bit tough to find a sweet spot where nothing was being blown away, the sand stayed where it was supposed to, and every area of the tank got roughly equal water movement, but now that it's done I'm really pleased. For a 155g you'd probably want more powerful Tunzes than mine, which each move 1189gph. Get two or three, position them near the top corners with the nozzles pointed slightly upwards, and aim the flows so they intersect and/or bounce off walls. No pumps in the middle of the tank, they'll just cancel out the ones on the sides (and look unattractive too). Try for 30-45X turnover and everything should be very happy.