PDA

View Full Version : Yuma's melt, Florida thrive....

OranguTang
03/20/2008, 04:51 PM
What is the deal with that? I had 3 blue yumas and they have pretty much withered away. I had them on the sand...my Ric Fla however have split many times....Any ideas?

400w 20k XM (weak)
ASM G1X
A few koralias...

Nitrates unmeasurable by my API.

curekar
03/20/2008, 08:03 PM
400 watts over a 60gal is pretty high light, the Floridas will be fine, but your Yumas may be a little fried. Also are these wild Yuma or cultured, if wild, it is not unusual for them to get up and die for no appairent reason. I had a rock of small green Yumas that were doing fairly well, I changed the lights and they all shrank up, I put them under a rock to reduce the light but it didn't matter they all died. I also have a couple of cultured ones and they do fine, even under higher light.

Craig

OranguTang
03/20/2008, 08:29 PM
I figured the par is so low they would be fine, especially 24" unter water and almost 40" below the actual bulb. Well no more yuma for me! Good thing I like florida more :)

Lance M.
03/21/2008, 11:24 AM
The yumas would probably be fine at the bottom of the tank on the side, out of direct light. You would still have to becareful photoacclimating them. And like curekar said yumas will sometimes die for no apparent reason.

IPowderBlueTang
03/21/2008, 12:39 PM
I had some yumas that melted and a few fell in the back of my rock work where there is very little lightand I was not going to rip apart my rock work for melting yumas. A year later while hunting aptasia and moving my rock work I found a few green yumas growing nicely in the shade. Now I have four yumas on one rock. I took them out and put then in a 20 gal frag tank with 48 watts of T5HO @ 20K and they see to be happy and growing.
I figure they must be harvest from deep waters and don't like intense lighting shinig on them.

k.tran
03/24/2008, 10:10 AM
lal of them are different just like us sometimes the like more light sometimes they dont simple as that

anguswu
03/25/2008, 10:26 PM
Yumas live under 10m to 30m in the sea. They are low light. Some yuma can tolerate higher light. But most of the yuma need to place in low light.

Cldormer
03/27/2008, 01:00 PM
My yumas are doing fine under my 70w HQI but Ishade them and keep them off to the sides of the tank.

chrisdamage
04/01/2008, 11:42 PM
too much lighting... yumas will THRIVE under like, 18W of PC... Mine all hate my 150W MH I have over my tank and they are on the very bottom and the light is about 6" above the tank.

dogstar74
04/05/2008, 05:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12179403#post12179403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anguswu
Yumas live under 10m to 30m in the sea. They are low light. Some yuma can tolerate higher light. But most of the yuma need to place in low light.

Awe Angus, what do you know about it? Just kidding. If anyone knows what the heck they are talking about with shrooms, it's you. Love your tank btw.

Aaron