PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine new future fish - preventative/aggressive

mikesin
03/20/2008, 05:17 PM
Hello,
Is there anyone who treats all new fish as if they are diseased whether or not they show symptoms?
What i mean is, QT them and shotgun treat them for ich, worms, infections, etc? If so, would you be so kind as to tell me your protocol. We don't know enough about SW medicine so med. names would be nice too.
We need a new way to QT new fish and are leaning toward this "aggressive" QT. Our goal is to be more certain that the fish we are adding to the DT are disease free.
EX: Feed prazi frozen in food.
Treat QT with prazi or something similar.
water change
treat QT with furan II or something similar.
water change
lower sg to 1.009 for 3 weeks?

Thanks

paulamrein
03/21/2008, 10:20 AM
I hypo all my fish in QT for 6 weeks than take another week to bring them back up to normal salinity. With seven weeks of observation I am personally confident that they are disease free. If there is something that the hypo won't kill will show up in that time frame. 3 weeks is a little short to really see everything show up.

kevin2000
03/21/2008, 03:08 PM
Some aquarist use extensive prophylactic treatments ... some are more risky than others.

Qting using hyposalinity is probably one of the least risky prophylactic treatments ... use by many aquarist and public aquariums and helps insure an ich free aquarium.

In addition to using hypo I give all of my fish a formalin bath before they enter QT ... this gets rid of a host of external parasites like flukes etc and helps if the fish has brooklynella. Some aquarist will give a FW dip rather than a formalin bath ... I use formalin because I have found it to be less stressful on the fish. (note formalin baths are more complicated than FW dips and one needs to do some reading beforehand and should have access to temperature probes and aeration devices before going this route).

I also take an extra week in QT and use that time to "deworm" my fish.

Here's a link to an article written by a clownfish breeder .. he uses some of the things I mentioned .. might help.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288805

i have crabs
03/21/2008, 03:09 PM
Agreed, I use this method as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12144425#post12144425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by paulamrein
I hypo all my fish in QT for 6 weeks than take another week to bring them back up to normal salinity. With seven weeks of observation I am personally confident that they are disease free. If there is something that the hypo won't kill will show up in that time frame. 3 weeks is a little short to really see everything show up.

mikesin
03/22/2008, 05:26 PM
great info - thank you

The Saltman
04/14/2008, 11:02 AM
I'm tagging along with this as well. Where can I find a detailed description on how to give a formalin bath?

kevin2000
04/14/2008, 11:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12325909#post12325909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltman
I'm tagging along with this as well. Where can I find a detailed description on how to give a formalin bath?
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/formalinbaths.html