PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Shrimp

mmotown
03/20/2008, 05:52 PM
I am thinking about getting a pair of these so they can eat the tiny star fish see in my tank. On YouTube I saw the HS eating larger star fish. WIll they take care of my star fish infestation?

ROB2005
03/20/2008, 06:15 PM
What kind of tiny starfish is in your tank?

Those shrimp will do better on a large starfish.

snorvich
03/21/2008, 12:56 PM
they will eat asterina. But they are more interesting when they are eating larger starfish. You could get a couple of chocolate chip star fish and keep them in your sump. Simply cut off an arm about every three weeks and you will be good to go.

mastawong
03/21/2008, 07:38 PM
will these guys do well in a tank w/ cleaner and fire shrimp?

mmotown
03/23/2008, 08:57 PM
will they atttack my serpent star?

D to the P
03/23/2008, 10:07 PM
there is a possibility that they will, but they usually prefer not to because serpent stars do not act like regular sea stars in that when the shrimp is feeding on them they do not stop moving. So while they can, they usually go after other sea stars. They will eat the small asterina sea stars and I would imagine that eventually they would rid your tank of them, but the shrimp are known for making the sea stars last awhile, and those sea stars are known for their ability to regenerate and multiply really quickly so it might take a bit of time for them to eat them all.