PDA

View Full Version : How big of a cleanup crew for an 85

willewonka
03/20/2008, 08:12 PM
I've got an 85 gallon tank with 120lbs of liverock and four fish (yellow tank, brown powder tang, and two chromis). I have only three turbo snails, 4 nascarius snails, and 6-9 hermit crabs. I know this isn't enough and I need to get more, but how many?

ACBlinky
03/20/2008, 10:22 PM
Who's to say that's not enough? Each tank has its own needs, there are no set numbers -- it can be tough to find the 'right' number and mix, so I'd suggest adding a few cleaners here and there until you feel that it's right, rather than a whole bunch at once.

I have a varied crew in my 90g:
- 5 Mexican turbo snails
- 2 nassarius snails
- 3 cerith snails
- 1 trochus snail
- 1 Babylon whelk (like a giant nassarius)
- 1 pincushion urchin
- 2 Hawaiian zebra hermits
- 4 blueleg hermits
- 1 electric orange hermit (2")
- 1 coral banded shrimp
- 1 tiger pistol shrimp & orange spotted goby pair (these contribute greatly to cleaning the sandbed)

I think it's a fairly light crew by many people's standards, certainly not 1 hermit or snail per gallon -- this is a number I've seen a few times now that boggles my mind, it's WAY too many IMHO.

I'm keeping a rabbitfish, a yellow tang, and a coral beauty angel -- all three consume algae and detritus, so the rockwork stays fairly clean even without the snails' help. My turbos are most useful for cleaning equipment and tight corners -- they keep the pumps tidy and clean around the silicone where my Mag-Float doesn't do a good job.

Take a good look around your tank, and note what needs cleaning. If things are fine, your CUC is perfect as-is. If you're seeing patches of diatoms, detritus etc. on the sand, you might want a conch or some nassarius snails to move it around more. If the powerheads are getting furry, invest in some more turbos or trochus snails. If you want to see a bunch of crazy teenagers fighting and throwing each other off the highest rock, get some Hawaiian zebra hermits (seriously, they're really only good for entertainment value).

Logzor
03/20/2008, 10:32 PM
Personally I live having a huge clean up crew. I enjoy watching all the little critters moving around in my tank.

In my 55 I have 3 turbo snails, large sea hare, 9 nassarius snails, 30 BL hermits, 30 astrea snails, blood shrimp.

Hitchhikers include 3-4 serpent stars, various types of snails, other small starfish, tons of pods, peanut worms, other worms, etc.

I think the more diversity the better!

Anemonebuff
03/20/2008, 10:43 PM
I have 5-6 Mexican Turbos, 1 Trochus, 1 Emerald Crab, 1 Hermit, and 6 Astreas. I had more turbos but there was not enough algae and they died off. That one per gallon stuff is crap IME.

Gdevine
03/20/2008, 10:52 PM
...and get a few conch's!!!!!!

tanker
03/20/2008, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12142276#post12142276 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gdevine
...and get a few conch's!!!!!!

Fighting not queen.