PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang Aggression

jallen100
03/21/2008, 07:46 AM
I have been reading that Yellow Tangs can be aggressive towards other tangs and was wondering if I could get some first hand accounts. I have a list of tangs that I like and all are peaceful but I dont want to add the yellow if it will prevent me from adding other tangs in the future such as a Naso, Hippo, Whitecheeck ect.

masonicman
03/21/2008, 09:00 AM
I was told that the yellow tang should be the last tang that you add to the tank because of this aggression. This way the other tangs have their territor or pecking order all ready established in the tank and the yellow tang would be the new guy on the block.

I started with the hippo and then added my smaller yellow tang. All is fine.

Tangwich
03/21/2008, 09:38 AM
If you add them all at the same time, they will be fine. If you can't do that, then add the Yellow last.

yoboyjdizz
03/21/2008, 01:22 PM
IME it a suitable tank size yellow tangs are really not that aggressive. If you were trying to add a sailfin or purple tang then i would be worried but the tangs you mention you shouldn't have a problem. I just wouldn't add a naso your tank is not large enough. My yellow gets along find with my hippo and my gold rim tang (whitecheeck).

KurtsReef
03/21/2008, 01:28 PM
I have a yellow tang, it was introduced along with a foxface about the same time. Shortly after that a Hippo was introduced, then a Powder Blue and Naso...

This is a 220G display, plenty of room to swim and hide. The only time there is any aggression is if I decide not to feed them for a day as much as normal. As long as I feed them quite a bit there is no problems.

ladyshark
03/28/2008, 07:11 PM
My yellow tang is interesting with my foxface. The tang is definitely the aggressor, but not horribly. I think it is because they are the same color. The two of them seem to sort of school together, but the tang will swat the foxface with its tail off and on, while the foxface will occasionally try to kind of back into the tang with a slight fluff of his spines, clearly a lame attempt, not at all seriously aggressive. They eat peacefully together. Its kind of interesting, neither shows signs of stress, both well bodied and healthy, so I dont worry--just interesting to watch.