PDA

View Full Version : How much is to much Flow?

GottisEgo
03/21/2008, 08:43 AM
So I am using 2 Hydor Koralia #3's in my 55gal Softy & LPS tank. I sometimes feel it's 2 much flow but it could just be me. I have them pointing right at eachother. Any suggestions on how everyone angles there Hydors? Is #3's to much for a 55?

Thanks!

GottisEgo
03/21/2008, 11:35 AM
^^^Anyone?

sabbath
03/21/2008, 11:41 AM
I don't think that you have to much.

I have over 50x an hour turn over, in my mixed reef.

reneeccrn
03/21/2008, 12:22 PM
i point them at eachother so that the flow "crashes" together creating random pockets of flow. watch your polyps.

Penally
03/21/2008, 04:14 PM
oh goodness me now now gottisego could you please let me well us actually reading your question just how many gallons your aquarium is we probably may be able to suggest a answer for you, when you say 55 do you mean your saltwater aquarium is 55 gallons, if this is so i would answer your question as not too much flow at all , if you are not very happy with them then i suggest you alter the direction, your beautiful soft corals will shrink to start with when you altsr the direction but should be happy again quite soon, try pointing one of your power heads at the aquarium front glass, i always have and i find it is lovely for the wonderful corals we all keep, good question and good luck

davocean
03/21/2008, 05:12 PM
All depends on what you have.
30-40x turnover for softies, much more for sps.
Some sps are at about 60x - to even around 100x turnover.
My tanks is mixed, about 50x turnover.
You could try bouncing PH's off glass to soften flow.