PDA

View Full Version : return and skimmer for a 120 question

BucNtears
03/21/2008, 09:34 AM
I'm setting up a 120 with a 40 gallon sump/fuge. the return pump will also feed my skimmer. This is the return I have ordered
Sequence ReefFlo Snapper Water Pump 2500gph. I also plan on running a couple of powerheads in the tank as well. Any imput concerning this setup is welcomed...
Here is the skimmer I have ordered Octopus Dual Recirculating 250 Protein Skimmer

Thanks

luke33
03/21/2008, 11:10 AM
Good skimmer but imo thats going to be way to much flow in your sump. I'd only suggest around 500-600gph flow through your sump. Your only going to want around 300gph flow through your skimmer.

FourWindsDealer
03/21/2008, 02:42 PM
Why not consider a dual overflow........ gravity feed to skimmer from one outlet, the other outlet to the sump/sock........Then you can use a smaller return pump from the sump like an Eheim 1262 ????? That's the setup I have on my 120, and it works like a charm :D

BucNtears
03/21/2008, 02:57 PM
The return will split into a 3 way.1 feeding the skimmer,The other feeding the refuge and the last will have a T thats used as a return of sorts back into the sump till all the pipes are slimed in.Once all the returns are slimmed the one that circulates will be gated back.
Once the tank stand is built I'll know how big the sump/fuge will be.It'll be anywhere from a 40- 75 gallon sump/fuge.
As soon as the stand arrives I'll begin the photos and a tank log.
any imput welcomed
Thanks