PDA

View Full Version : Noob Fish question

donk13170
03/21/2008, 11:12 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site.
I currently have an aquapod 12 (just coral) and have had many reef tanks in the past. I've never dabbled in FOWLR tanks before but I think I want to jump into it. I have been trying to use the search engine here but it keeps saying that the server is overloaded.
Anyway... Just a couple questions, I'm very interested in setting up a 90 gal tank and would love to get a trigger (Picasso or Clown) I've done reaserch and everything I've read says that there are really no other fish that I can safely put in with them.
Obiously I dont want a 90 gal tank with 1 fish and some LR in it.
Anyone with expericence keeping triggers, if you could let me know what other fish you have with them and how they react would be great.
Also is there ANY kind of coral that would be safe in the tank (just to color it up a bit).
Thanks, Don

reefergeorge
03/21/2008, 11:20 AM
Welcome to RC!!

I have a Picasso in my 90 fowlr with a small tang, porcupine puffer, coral beauty, and foxface. He is a model citizen that leaves every thing alone. Even the few shrooms, and zoes I have in with them.
I don't have experience with the clown, but hear they get big and can kill whole tanks.

donk13170
03/21/2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the quick response.
Do you know if it is possible to have more than 1 trigger (different species)?
Thanks again

NewFish3
03/21/2008, 11:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12144866#post12144866 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by donk13170
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site.
I currently have an aquapod 12 (just coral) and have had many reef tanks in the past. I've never dabbled in FOWLR tanks before but I think I want to jump into it.

I have been trying to use the search engine here but it keeps saying that the server is overloaded.

hhhhhmmmmmm....do I dare touch this one ( Read my other thread )

If you become a Premium member, you have a much better chance of using the search

Mikey Donuts
03/21/2008, 11:26 AM
If you want a reef safe trigger and would consider passing up the Picasso or Clown, you might look into Sargassum Triggers. From everything I've read about them, there is a slight chance they'll go after your shrimp, but they'll likely leave everything alone. They are Planktivores, so they generally don't mess with larger inverts. Now, if you find one let me know where! :)

ultimatemusky
03/21/2008, 12:43 PM
Before I knew better....back in the 90's I had a clown, undulated, picasso, and niger in the same 65 gal. Also had a volitans lion, snowflake eel and a coral hog too. I had this crew for 2.5 to 3 years only lost the eel then sold the rest to a guy w/180 when they got too big. I know now I was overcrowded and this is not recommended but it worked, they got along, I guess I was very lucky.

law086
03/21/2008, 12:53 PM
I don't have too much experience with Triggers, but I had a Niger in a full reef until a peskey tang made him jump to his death. He was one of the most passive fish I had in the entire tank. Never bothers other fish and never bothered any coral.

Now that I think about it, I'll have to pick up another one!