PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Alkalinity

Spartanman22
03/21/2008, 11:22 AM
I have a 75 gallon attempt at a reef, but all my corals seem to slowly decline. All my parameters are good: nitrate0, nitrite 0, calcium 420, salinity 1.025, ph 8.2, but my alkalinity is 300 ppm. I test with one of the quick dip test strips, and I know this isn't probably all that accurate, but it is the only thing off and makes sense since none of my corals are ever open. So I am assuming this test kit is somewhat correct. I use faucet water and I know this is deemed terrible and a newby mistake, but so far alkalinity levels are the only reprocussion, and it is such an inconveniece to have to get about 20 gallons of ro water a week, and the price would escalate very quickly. Plus, I am only sixteen so it makes it even harder to pay for the constant ro water prices, and I know if you don't have the money you shouldn't be in the hobby but I've already started and don't plan on quitting. So if there is any way to adjust my alkalinity to a lower level I would love to know. I also do not dose anything. I used to a couple months ago, but quit dosing once I found out I was doing more harm than good. The only thing I dosed was calcium.

rbursek
03/21/2008, 11:33 AM
Get rid of the tap water, there are SO many things in it that could be your problem that you cannot test for, If you are not quiting this hobby get a RO/DI unit! It is that simple.

rbursek
03/21/2008, 11:41 AM
Go to TheFilterGuys.biz, sponsors here, talk to Jim great prices, customer service, and knowledge, they will fix you up, better then anything on Ebay.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/21/2008, 12:00 PM
Are you adding any buffers for pH, or anything else to the tank?

Buffers boost alkalinity, but some folks do not realize that.

Penally
03/21/2008, 12:05 PM
sounds like your adding chemicals, keep it natural, softie do not like chemicals especially in novice hands, i bet your dosing, come on admit it and we can help you

Spartanman22
03/21/2008, 03:24 PM
I used to dose calcuim but thats all and i stopped about 2-3 months ago i dont dose anything.

Penally
03/21/2008, 03:34 PM
ok young man do you regually change your water, if so, do you condition your faucet water, i mean do you use any chemicals at all, sorry to keep on i have not heard of faucet water but my heart keeps telling me you are adding somthing, i would like to know it may help me understand your situation a little more, i really would like to help

TX26257
03/21/2008, 03:45 PM
do you condition the tap water... I haved used tap for years and all corals look great. igot clams sps montiw and a year old elegence.... but your tap might be worse you can always send a ssample off for professional testing

Spartanman22
03/21/2008, 04:27 PM
I do weekly water changes and i add aquasafe by tetra to neutralize chlorines and chloramines but that is the only thing I add. Sorry I didn't even think of this as and additive.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/22/2008, 07:46 AM
I cannot tell from their description whether it adds alkalinity, but tap water certainly can even without it.

Have you ever measured the alkalinity of it after it is treated?