PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea for water changes?

Tang Salad
03/21/2008, 08:04 PM
If I reduced the nozzle on my Wet/dry vac to the size of a drinking straw, could I use it to "Vaccuum" algae and such of the LR from underwater? Would the Wet/dry have enough suction left when reduced to that size? Fires? No dice? Best idea ever? :lol: Your thoughts, please.

Kentanner11
03/21/2008, 08:09 PM
umm. maybe...

Devil Man
03/21/2008, 08:24 PM
interesting... i think that straw might be a bit small and that you will kill the motor quickly. i would do like a 1/2" but thats just me.

protege
03/21/2008, 08:27 PM
Yes, It would have enough vacuum, but may burn out the motor.

Fluxion
03/21/2008, 09:36 PM
I once used my shopvac to suck up the last inch or so of water and gravel out of my wifes turtle tank. It kicked butt! I've been tempted to use it for water changes more than once.

das75
03/21/2008, 10:41 PM
Hear of shop vacs used for water changes for when the sump sits on the floor and no Tee on the return line.

Not sure about the straw.

Tang Salad
03/21/2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks all-

My idea was to make a super focused hair algae sucker straw. To scrub and remove algae.

New question: How long would it take to burn out a severly restricted cheap-o wet-dry? Secomds? Minutes?

We could always connect a bleed valve, to not stress the motor. Regulate the straw's suction and just do quick bursts of full suction when scrubbied algae gets loosened.

stugray
03/22/2008, 10:26 AM
The salt water will probably kill the motor fairly quickly.

I used my older SV to clean out the gravel & junk in my sump once & it still runs fune. I think if you did this a lot, you would kill it.

However, SVs are so cheap at HD these days, give it a try.

Also, if you wanted to neck it down so small, put a tee with a valve on it, and let it suck mostly air. That should keep it from stressing the motor from too much restriction.

Stu

Siffy
03/22/2008, 10:30 AM
If you could find strong enough pipe that small diameter it'd be best. 1/2" CPVC may be small enough but you'll be removing a LOT of water and contaminating it at the same time with anything much larger. Never know if it'll work til you try. I'd try CPVC with a check valve (to prevent any dirty backwash), then a T with a ball valve off the side of that, and connect that to the vac hose. Then just open and close the ball valve to suck water or air. It takes several minutes to overheat most shop vacs. I've gotten mine clogged (in a shop of course, not with hair algae) a bunch of times and didn't get to it right away. You could even attach your scrub brush to the end of the PVC.

firedogg2
03/22/2008, 11:05 AM
It would be cool to attach this to the vac.

http://www.thesea.org/reef_aquarium/DIY/maintenance/maintenance_algae_brush.php

old+blue
03/22/2008, 12:02 PM
yeah do what fire dog suggseted

cool as a coldwater setup

Jester
03/22/2008, 08:20 PM
I have heard of people using wet/dry vacs before... I havent tried it, but I'm sure it would do a better job of getting that gunk out of my sump... I would probably pull a few gallons of freshwater through it afterwards to rinse the salt out...

Solitaryensis
03/22/2008, 11:10 PM
I have a friend with a wholesale facility that has been using his shop vac for many years with no problems so im not sure that the salt will have any short term effects. However, i wonder why would want to suck water out of your aquarium that fast? If anything, why not use a brute garbage can and attach a pump to the end of it? I can see maybe using it to clean out a sump but other than that, i think you are better off just creating siphon or just attaching a pump to a vinyl hose

tylorarm
03/22/2008, 11:50 PM
I use my shop vac to clean out the last 1/4" of my tanks often, no problem so far. Once the canister is about 1/3 full and it bogs out, so capcity is overstated. It sucks it pretty much dry though, does a great job. I tried on one of my tanks with more water and it didn't work as well, had to let in part air and part water and then it did well. Don't know if that helps but that's my experience.

NanoReefWanabe
03/23/2008, 07:57 AM
whats wrong with using a maxijet900? or 1200?

put the pump the dirty water pail...and have 10' or so 3/8 hose on the inlet side?
prime the pump via siphon...then plug it in....

should be strong enough to suck up most crap and algae?

i would avoid sucking in sand though..

Talis
03/23/2008, 05:42 PM
Put a T on it where you will be holding it. That way when you need more suction you can cover the opening with your thumb to dramatically increase suction for the moment.