PDA

View Full Version : Attaching coral

kbaker721
03/22/2008, 07:22 PM
How do you attach coral with a hard base - like a trumpet coral or a frogspawn? I have a trumpet coral (with over a dozen heads - really nice) attached to a rock by a rubber band - the base was shoved in a hole in a rock but it was getting awkward in there.

I guess my real question is, do those types of coral ever grow a base attached to a rock or are they always "free standing?" Just curious - I know you can glue, etc the coral, but what happens when it starts to grow....??

uglyamericanV1
03/22/2008, 07:47 PM
i think they do begin to grow a new skeleton, and rubberbanding or super gluing to a rock would not be a problem......they grow outward, its not like medullary bone or anything.

so no problems....my guys heads split in two, who knows what is going to happen next
some one else, but not me

jpa0741
03/22/2008, 07:49 PM
No they will not ever encrust to the rock.

stingythingy45
03/22/2008, 07:59 PM
I have both candy coral and Frogspawn.
And like the above poster stated it will not encrust.
I keep it free and don't both attacking it to the LR.
The frogspawn I keep on the sandbed.If you do decide to attach it the two part epoxy seems to work ok.But the rock need to be cleaned of algae with an old toothbrush first.

Aquarist007
03/22/2008, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12155085#post12155085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stingythingy45
I have both candy coral and Frogspawn.
And like the above poster stated it will not encrust.
I keep it free and don't both attacking it to the LR.
The frogspawn I keep on the sandbed.If you do decide to attach it the two part epoxy seems to work ok.But the rock need to be cleaned of algae with an old toothbrush first.

so does crazy glue gel--but I agree in keeping them mobile if you can--because of the reach of their stingers you will always be placing them and replacing them with regards to other corals

Lewin
03/22/2008, 09:30 PM
I always just re-arrange the rocks so there are crevases to tuck the bases of things into. It also comes in handy should the coral need to be moved due to current, light, etc.

Also it makes aquascaping new pieces in more fun when you can move the old ones areound a bit.

tmz
03/23/2008, 09:03 AM
I like to plan placements very carefully. Even hardy corals use a lot of energy adjusting to movements.they have to deal with new flow patterns new light,etc. and can't just move to accomodate their needs . They have to physically adjust. Frequent movement wil harm them even if they don't fall. So it's best to make a placement and leave them alone without moving them about too often. Falling and absorbing sitngs can really destroy some of your prize specimens as can too much light or unfavorable flow.
I like to make a base for most of my specimens,either by placing them on a rock where they can encrust, or in the case of those that don't encrsut including Caulastrea(candy cane) by finding a small but heavy enough rock to use. I will find a nuatural crevice or hole in the rock to accomodate the base of the coral or make one with a dremmel . Then I play around with placing the rock in the aquascape while the coral waits safely on the sideline.
Once I'm satisfied,the coral goes on the rock and is secured with a bit of expoxy or crazy gel or both and is placed securely.

Zip ties are also very useful in placements. Don't worry about them showing since they cover over with coraline in a few months.