PDA

View Full Version : 75g help

Moonstream
03/22/2008, 08:37 PM
I have a drilled 75g and am planning to take the build slow. so far I have the tank and stand, tank is drilled and has 1.5" bulbheads. I also have the sump/fuge, a 40br, and I plan to make eggcrate baffles. my equipment list for the tank is
LIGHTING- nova extreme pro 48" (6 54 watt bulbs)
RETURN- mag 7
SAND- not sure, looking to get something somewhat cheap)
ROCK- 130 lbs or so
SKIMMER- until august I will be using a coralife super skimmer for up to 65g (plan to get a really good one then)

I will be getting everything april 1st or so, maybe next weekend.

Capt_Cully
03/22/2008, 08:42 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start. you can always fine tune and upgrade once you start the tank, and pick you direction i.e. softies, LPS, SPS, clams, etc.

Something someone taught me once, that I have found to be true, is that good equip ain't cheap, and cheap equip ain't good. better to spend a little more at the get go and avoid having to replace inferior equipment later. It'll cost you more in the long run.
I'm babbling now.......

Capt_Cully
03/22/2008, 08:44 PM
didn't mean for that to sound snobby,your stuff is good quality, just that you mentioned you wanted to start then upgrade your skimmer. Alot of people run that skimmer and are very happy with it. :thumbsup:

tbar
03/22/2008, 09:45 PM
Never heard of eggcrate baffles. I thought baffles are for having flow go over or under but not threw. I have eggcrate in my sump to keep chato in certain location but don't consider that a baffle. Equip list looks good to me, hope you get a good price for your rock.

orbit
03/22/2008, 09:51 PM
yea agreeed with tbar, i dont think u can use eggcrate for baffles,

u can use it to keep cheato or other kind of algea from going to the next baffle

for rocks try to get it from local reefer, it will be much cheaper than LFS, that how i got my rocks for my 75 :)

Moonstream
03/22/2008, 10:22 PM
it is mainly to keep everything seperate. I already have the super skimmer, and I LOVE it, but I dont really have a very large budget for equipment (700 bucks left) and so I would rather wait and get a GREAT one in the summer.

I am pretty sure that I will be keeping mostly LPS, some clams and zoas as well, and also a small anemone.

demonsp
03/23/2008, 12:34 AM
I didnt see any powerheads listed.