PDA

View Full Version : How much lr canI add after cycle

Ricky1066
03/22/2008, 08:45 PM
Ok I just got a call from a guy I met on a local forum he has 100 pds of lr he wants 3 pd lots of sponges on it WHatever that meand (someone tell me) and brittle starfish But must pick up I was told I need more rock and that is a steal here So can I add 30 pds to my tank ? with no headaache I have no place else to store it My tank is fuly cylced with livestock already?

He says the rock is fully cured

BLKTANG
03/22/2008, 08:48 PM
IMO,&IME 60lbs of LR that you already have is plenty rock.I have 50lbs in my 75,& no problems.

Aquarist007
03/22/2008, 08:53 PM
I agree with blktang

but knowing you , you will want to buy some--so use your sump which I assume is still not attached, put a power head in there for circulation, a heater and get one of those clip lights I should you before
You will probably have to do a lot of water changes to keep the ammonia levels down to protect the inverts

Aquarist007
03/22/2008, 08:58 PM
eventually when you get your sump setup to the display tank again you will have a lot of cured live rock available to your water column and still preserve the swimming room in it for the fish

Ricky1066
03/22/2008, 09:03 PM
Ok I won't buy iT I spent enough money I again was told by 5 people I need more rock But my main guys Captn.blktang and demosns are who I listen to mostly if you say I have enough ok

kevin2000
03/22/2008, 10:16 PM
My 02

More rock in that sized tank would normally not be a problem and would have certain benefits ... but you have more fish in the tank than I think is appropriate and more rock has the downside of displacing water creating a potential problem with your fish.

Aquarist007
03/22/2008, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12156151#post12156151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevin2000
My 02

More rock in that sized tank would normally not be a problem and would have certain benefits ... but you have more fish in the tank than I think is appropriate and more rock has the downside of displacing water creating a potential problem with your fish.

he is in the process of setting up a sump so that would be a good place for live rock ---since it is not setup right now he can cure it there and then it will be right when the sump is hooked up
I have 160 lbs in the 120, 50 or so in the sump and another 20 in the fuge--its all part of the same water column but it leaves room in the dt for swimming space,

cdbias2
03/23/2008, 04:57 AM
If it truely is live rock and coming directly out of an established tank, there should be no cycle.
Keep it covered with salt water during transport, which shouldn't be a problem since your picking it up. Tell the guy you want to transport it that way so he can have some SW available for you to use.
99% of liverock is transported just damp and there is always a little die off. Those sponges wont like being out of the water.

tmz
03/23/2008, 08:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12157261#post12157261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cdbias2
If it truely is live rock and coming directly out of an established tank, there should be no cycle.
Keep it covered with salt water during transport, which shouldn't be a problem since your picking it up. Tell the guy you want to transport it that way so he can have some SW available for you to use.
99% of liverock is transported just damp and there is always a little die off. Those sponges wont like being out of the water. :) That's good advice. Make sure the rock is healthy . Ask if the tank was ever medicated and why he is selling it. If not handled well 30lbs of live rock can have substantial die off and pollute your system. More rock in your sump would cetainly upgrade for denitrification and provide habitat for microfuana.

Ricky1066
03/23/2008, 09:14 AM
Tha t was going to be my next question if it is fully cycled why would I have to wait for it to recylce .The guy is breaking down his tank so is selling all the stuff in it wanted a whole package but then said no one was taking it so he will say pieces.

I understand the space in the main tank but I have been told several times I dont have enough tock in the main tank?

Michael
03/23/2008, 11:12 AM
i quite like the look of your tank ricky, but as i have said before you jumped in too quick with the fish, still you got them now and you are keeping them alive, i think your doing fine now, and agree that the capn knows his stuff

Ricky1066
03/23/2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks Mikey I like my tank too i am just afraid of me doing something wrong and the tank crashing I hear alot of sotries aboiut that.

My next step now is getting a sump built My lfs says he is lookin into getting me one and a good rate Or I have the one on ebay for $170 25 gallon sump/refugium combo including shipping

Michael
03/23/2008, 11:22 AM
you will be ok you are getting lots of advice, i cant really give you any but some of the guys giving you it know their stuff

tmz
03/23/2008, 08:28 PM
Re sump: I use a rubbermaid bin.

Aquarist007
03/23/2008, 08:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12158997#post12158997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ricky1066
Thanks Mikey I like my tank too i am just afraid of me doing something wrong and the tank crashing I hear alot of sotries aboiut that.

My next step now is getting a sump built My lfs says he is lookin into getting me one and a good rate Or I have the one on ebay for $170 25 gallon sump/refugium combo including shipping

IMO you should be looking into a protein skimmer also

Ricky1066
03/23/2008, 09:24 PM
I have a brand new protein skimmer Didn't you see there nasty email ?

IT is the best skimmer on the market they said

I am going to look for one depending on the size of my new sump