PDA

View Full Version : Biocube modders--

Reef Ruler
03/23/2008, 12:24 PM
Hey

OK, so I was thinking of upgrading the return pump for the BC14, any suggestions? I was thinking the RIO 600, but not so sure. It doesnt have a specific GPH rating on nanotuners.com, so does anybody know? Other than that I heard the Maxijet 900, but Im not sure if thats the one I think it is.

Thanks
Brian

dball711
03/23/2008, 12:48 PM
I've used both, switched to a MJ900 for more flow. RIO 600 is 200 gph at 0 head pressure.

Reef Ruler
03/23/2008, 01:22 PM
hows the MJ? I thought it was a powerhead, unlike the stock pump. How does that work out...do you hang it on the back and stick the return end through the hole?

NewFish3
03/23/2008, 05:46 PM
Iam looking at putting the pump from the BC29 in my BC14. The stock BC14 pump is 137gph, the BC29 pump is 260gph. I just have to check the size, so it will fit down in the chamber.

Reef Ruler
03/23/2008, 05:53 PM
That was my other idea, although I just figured it would be a bit bigger to not fit the return pipe the right way anyway. If you find out, let me know.

k9gunner
03/23/2008, 09:14 PM
I am trying to figure a way to increase flow in my BC 29 s well.

Here is something to remember, and a problem I am trying to think through.

Right now, I have replaced my bioballs with rebble rock. I also removed the stock filter due to the fact it was restricting flow too much, and chamber 3 was running dry.

Now if I upgrade the pump, will I run into that problem again, where the 3rd chamber runs dry? Right now when I do my water changes, it takes a bit for the water to catch up.

Any ideas? Any way to check this before I invest in a new pump and do the install?

FishNutzBoi
03/23/2008, 11:18 PM
i have a BC8 and the MJ900 fits fine in the return chamber

NewFish3
03/24/2008, 01:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12162814#post12162814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by k9gunner

Right now, I have replaced my bioballs with rebble rock. I also removed the stock filter due to the fact it was restricting flow too much, and chamber 3 was running dry.

Now if I upgrade the pump, will I run into that problem again, where the 3rd chamber runs dry? Right now when I do my water changes, it takes a bit for the water to catch up.

Any ideas? Any way to check this before I invest in a new pump and do the install?

Well first.... you have to shut off the pump when doing water changes...... When I do my water changes I shut the pump off...Vac the sand .... take out the crap water... then add the new water, when it gets over the inlet ... I turn on the pump & add more water as needed

dball711
03/24/2008, 02:14 PM
+1 on unplugging the pump for a water change. The water level in the rear chambers is relative to the pump flow so should not be a problem. What you may need to do is open up the overflow from chamber one to chamber two to accommodate the increased flow.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12159734#post12159734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef Ruler
hows the MJ? I thought it was a powerhead, unlike the stock pump. How does that work out...do you hang it on the back and stick the return end through the hole?
Stock pump or power head = same thing

chromiumlux
03/24/2008, 07:08 PM
Just thought I'd chime in on this topic.
I have a BC14 and have done several mods to the tank. One of which I installed the MJ900 as my return pump. the pump fits in the sump just fine, you just need to set it in at an angle. I trimmed 1/4 inch off the return hose because the hose was stressed. My return sump water level runs high to just under the output neck.
I removed all the trays in the chambers for better flow.
Intake chamber--skimmer
Center chamber--fuge chaeto only
Return chamber--MJ900 and heater

Reef Ruler
03/24/2008, 07:28 PM
OK, question for you guys. Im doing some mods, where could I get pura complete?
Also, Is fluval's carbon the same quality as Black Diamonds?