PDA

View Full Version : coral frag on small piece of live rock?

an411
03/23/2008, 07:37 PM
When you get a coral on a piece of rock or frag plug does the coral move off the rock by itself overtime or do you need to take the frag off yourself and glue it to a rock in the tank? not sure how that exactly works any insight will be helpful

brians4671
03/23/2008, 07:40 PM
coraline algae will eventually grow as will the frag. but no it will not move off the rock.

BLKTANG
03/23/2008, 08:04 PM
A coral will eventually grow over a frag plug,& onto your LR.A term we reefers use for that is "Encrusting".Mushrooms,& zooantaid corals will multiply on a frag plug,& also eventually grow onto LR.

an411
03/23/2008, 09:10 PM
what about an acros though its on a 2 inch round frag plug I should just leave it for now?

saltycreefer
03/23/2008, 09:13 PM
Let it acclimate to your tank for a couple weeks. Then decide whether or not you want to break it from the plug. If it's not too encrusted to the plug, it should pop off easily.

o.c.d.
03/23/2008, 09:18 PM
Sometimes if I can get a fresh frag I will reattach it to a small piece of LR instead of plug or disk. And don't get me started on the p.v.c. plugs hate them. If I can't move them I attach small piece's of coral sand around the plug altering the unnatural shape. I shouldn't call it "sand" more like mini LR it is sold as a substrate. Even covered in coral or coraline I can still pick out the shape of the dreaded plug

o.c.d.
03/23/2008, 09:20 PM
Sometimes if I can get a fresh frag I will reattach it to a small piece of LR instead of plug or disk. And don't get me started on the p.v.c. plugs hate them. If I can't move them I attach small piece's of coral sand around the plug altering the unnatural shape. I shouldn't call it "sand" more like mini LR it is sold as a substrate. Even covered in coral or coraline I can still pick out the shape of the dreaded plug but I am also a very picky reefer

an411
03/23/2008, 09:37 PM
alright I guess i will let it acclimate in the tank for a couple weeks then try to remove it hopefully it will not be a difficult process and I can reattach it pretty easily with hurting the coral. I am assuming that you can attach it to live rock with the super glue gel