PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Trash Can

gsxunv04
03/24/2008, 09:55 AM
I went to lowes to get a Brute trash can by Rubbermaid, while i was there i noticed another brand, Incredible Plastics, has a 35 gallon trash can called "Rhino Tuff", and it was half the price of a Brute so I went with it. I looked for "NSF" certified marks on all of the cans, even the Brute, but I couldnt find it on any label or the can itself. I went with the Rhino Tuff because it was a lot cheaper, price wise, but seemed as good of quality as the Brute.

My question is has anyone heard of this can, or better, is using this trash can, and can let me know its safe for mixing fresh saltwater? Or does anyone know if its NSF certified, if not I will go exchange it for the Brute, no big deal, I just wanna know if I can start mixing water or if I gotta take a run to Lowe's

AustinVines
03/24/2008, 10:13 AM
I doubt you will run into problems with the Rhino. I had a none Brute can for almost 2 years and never had an issue with it but recently upgraded to the brute since I did a large water change a month, drained the can and had forgotten to unplug the heater.

Whoops.

The Brute is "food safe" if that appeals to you and seems to be thicker or more rigid than the other cans I considered.

gsxunv04
03/24/2008, 10:30 AM
thanks, i guess ill just stick with the rhino tuff. it says its weather resistant and made out of recycled materials so i guess its good.

gsxunv04
03/24/2008, 01:13 PM
got a question, do you guys wipe a new trashcan out with vinegar or bleach or anything before you use it? just a spray with the hose, and your good to go?

AustinVines
03/24/2008, 02:09 PM
I just hosed mine down. Vinegar would be ok but unless you really rinsed it out well, I wouldn't use bleach. There shouldn't be anything in the can that could cause you problems besides dust maybe.

Rickyrooz1
03/24/2008, 08:32 PM
I just hose it down.

MrSandman
03/24/2008, 10:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12165496#post12165496 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gsxunv04
thanks, i guess ill just stick with the rhino tuff. it says its weather resistant and made out of recycled materials so i guess its good.

Hmmm.... i'm a little concerned careful about this. Its weather resistant, so that means it probably has UV/Mold/mildew inhibitors in it among other things. Its also made of recycled materials, so who knows where those materials came from and what they contained. It could leach out something bad.

TriggerHappyDude
03/24/2008, 10:20 PM
If you have an RO/DI system hooked up to one trash can, would you need another to mix the water in with salt? So two total to do your water changes?

Pauper
03/24/2008, 11:03 PM
Most people have one to store top off water and one to mix saltwater. You can use a pump to get filtered water to the saltwater container or tee your ro/di filter.

TriggerHappyDude
03/24/2008, 11:06 PM
Where does the waste RO/DI water go? Where do you send it?

TriggerHappyDude
03/24/2008, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12171740#post12171740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pauper
Most people have one to store top off water and one to mix saltwater. You can use a pump to get filtered water to the saltwater container or tee your ro/di filter.

If this is the case the ATO one needs to be near the tank doesn't it? I don't have that option...my RO/DI would be installed away from the room where the tank will be.

gsxunv04
03/25/2008, 07:31 AM
alright im taking it back and getting a brute, shouldve gotten it the first time. why ro/di has no waste water. i can open a valve to wash the mebrane but when im making clean water i just close the valve and no waste comes out, just good pure water.

kaiser
03/25/2008, 07:56 AM
there should be 2 lines coming from your RO/DI, one for clean water and one for waste. If you don't, I'd check and make sure the thing was installed right. On mine the waste goes down the drain, I've heard of people running it out to top of a pond with or to water a flower bed.

gsxunv04
03/25/2008, 08:10 AM
i have a drain line, it goes into the drain for my washing machine, but for my unit to operate it doesnt produce waste to drain when it is making fresh clean ro/di 0ppm water. it drains only when i want to (monthly) flush water over the membrane to wash it off. my instruction maual says close valve for operatin but open to was membrane. so it ake it as clean water = close the valve. when the valve is open to drain however it does still crank out some clean water but its not as fast.

I may be mistaken in my operating procedures, and if so i would like to know, but from what i understand and have been told, i close the valve for clean water. i have a 6 stage r0/2 di that i got from dvoneb off of ebay. its a 125gpd unit thats 0ppm

TriggerHappyDude
03/25/2008, 11:41 PM
It only makes sense, when you clean water via a filter, waste has to go somewhere...

gsxunv04
03/26/2008, 08:15 AM
the waste is what is caught by the filters, no?

kaiser
03/26/2008, 08:30 AM
No it isn't. Have you ever put a TDS Meter to your RO/DI?

pontiac2002gtp
03/26/2008, 08:33 AM
I think i have that same r/o unit and it is supposed to make waste water my valve got stuck and i had to take it apart and then it started making waste again. Get a tds meter and see what you get for a reading that will let you know if its working or not.

kdblove_99
03/26/2008, 10:40 AM
The Brutte is a good choice. I would not trust the Rhino for the Exact reasons mr.sandman said

gsxunv04
03/26/2008, 11:39 AM
alright guys, my mistake, I pulled out my drain line while it was running(with the valve closed) and it was cranking out more waste than pure. so my fault, it does make waste water, and plenty of it at that. thanks for helping me understand what was going on behind my washing machine:)

IRISSERVICE
03/26/2008, 12:29 PM
you want NSF, the brutes have it on the bottom...
only Grey,White and Yellow are NSF...

gsxunv04
03/26/2008, 06:59 PM
yea i see the nsf mark on the underside of the lid. i got a brute now and is just shouldve gotten it in the beginning