PDA

View Full Version : Huge plating montipora colony 1/2 died now regrowing BUT algae??

saltman1
03/24/2008, 05:50 PM
Hello, long story short I had a huge orange plating monti colony that was thriving until I added a flame angel that picked at it for a month. By the time I caught the sucker the colony was stressed enough and started to die. I almost threw it out but saw some hope and now it's been growing on the edges and coloring up in the spots that dont have algae on the surface. I have been trying to blow the surface clean with a turkey baster and it's been somewhat successful I believe. So what should I do. In the center of the colony is all algae covered and dead. But some of the outer leafs and all tops are alive and growing??

hatfielj
03/24/2008, 05:54 PM
Let it go. It will recover. Don't worry about the dead spots that are white and growing algae. It will eventually grow coraline algae and blend in with the rest of your live rock completely.

saltman1
03/25/2008, 07:21 AM
Cool cool it's good to hear! It would have broke my heart to have to trash this colony. I am interested to see how the dead tissue with algae on it will react with the new growth. Hopefully this nasty alage will be overcome. Should I continue to blast it clean with the turkey baster every week?

Tennsquire
03/25/2008, 08:06 AM
I'd just leave it be. If your tank parameters are good, it'll heal itself. I have a large orange plating montipora, and every once in a while it gets persnickity for no good reason and goes into "tissue recission" mode. It always grows back good as new. I don't think it's caused by my fish, although my pair of clowns do like to roll around in this montipora, so maybe they're irritating it.