PDA

View Full Version : API test kit wrong???

smalls383
03/25/2008, 10:51 AM
So I am being told from my LFS that they think that my API test kit is not accurate....

I have a tank that has been running for about 7 weeks. I have had my cycle but still have high trates. I did a water change this weekend about 60%...got my trates down to about 30-40 from about 80.

My LFS said that there is no way that my nitrates in my new tank with nothing in it but LR & LS could ever get to 80....So maybe it is off a bit and my trates are now at about 0-15 not 30-40???

I tested my tap water and it was about 20 for trates....is this a clue that there is something wrong....

NewFish3
03/25/2008, 10:56 AM
I would take some water to the LFS & let him test it. See how it measures up to your kit... If its right on with him, maybe you kit is old.

smalls383
03/25/2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah I new that you were going to say have another store test it....I am going to do that later this week.

Is that common for a test kit to be that off??? I have another LFS test is about 1 week back, with the same API brand kit...there results were the same as mine and I bought my API kit from MD

???????????????

stingythingy45
03/25/2008, 11:07 AM
If you're using tapwater anything is possible.

smalls383
03/25/2008, 11:14 AM
The tank was originally filled with tap water weeks back. Since then I have had many top-offs and water changes including that one which was about 60-70%

My trates are about 30 right now, is that to high for a CUC?

kevin2000
03/25/2008, 11:17 AM
As I recall the EPA mandates a maximum nitrate level of 10 .. so that may indicate your initial reading of 20 from your tap water was incorrect and you might try again.

API has a decent reputation for their test kits ... but over the yrs I have gotten bad test kits from just about every mfg .. the good ones will send you another free of charge with "no hassle".

You should seriously consider using RO/DI with that level of nitrates .. water changes are the main defence line for many aquarist in reducing nitrates and if your replacement water has nitrates in it your in for some nasty algae problem.

Good luck.

smalls383
03/25/2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah I just used tap water for the initial setup because it was all I had....I have been using RO since then....is RO good enough or are you reccomending only RO/DI

I know that RO/DI is better, but does it make that much difference??

NewFish3
03/25/2008, 11:30 AM
Ya....anything can happen with tap water...with RO/DI water, as long as the filters are changed on time its always good. If you cant get the RO/DI, at least use distilled water from the store. In any case its always good to get a TDS meter so you can always test it.

As far as the test kit being bad or old, anything can happen there too. But MD most likely sells a good amount of them, so I dont think that they have been sitting on a shelf very long.

If I had to guess.....its the tap water

kevin2000
03/25/2008, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12174448#post12174448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smalls383
I know that RO/DI is better, but does it make that much difference??

Depends on the quality of your source water .. the tap water in my town is excellent and better (after removal of chlorine/chloramine) than the water after RO in a couple of towns I have lived in.

If your considering purchasing and RO unit .. go for an RO/DI unit since the incremental cost is nominal.

smalls383
03/25/2008, 11:45 AM
My RO source is from one of those vending machines inside my local Safeway....any considerations on how good that water is....northern california where the tap water tastes like a collection cup smells!!!!!

kevin2000
03/25/2008, 11:48 AM
Vending machine water is dependent on the maintenance of the filter membranes ... sometimes good sometimes lousy. if I was using one I would make an investment in a TDS meter (don't cost much).

smalls383
03/25/2008, 11:57 AM
ok, thanks for the info!!!

NewFish3
03/25/2008, 12:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12174628#post12174628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevin2000
Vending machine water is dependent on the maintenance of the filter membranes ... sometimes good sometimes lousy. if I was using one I would make an investment in a TDS meter (don't cost much).

Its funny that you say that. At my local walmart, they used to put a sticker up in the corner telling when they changed the filters last. The sticker hasn't changed dates in 1 1/2 years. So Iam not sure when the filters were changed......just a slip up ??? or has it been a year and a half.

COM-100 TDS meter $50.00 from the filterguys http://www.thefilterguys.biz/tds_meters.htm

smalls383
03/25/2008, 12:18 PM
1 1/2 wow...thats a long time...next time I am going to see if I can see if that sticker is there.

Also, there is a water store near my house that sells RO water for 25 cents....they claim that they test daily and I would bet that they are more reliable then a safeway....Im gonna start to go there...

NewFish3
03/25/2008, 12:54 PM
Ya...I would go there insted. But I would still get the TDS meter if you got the money. That way you can always test it yourself. Also the reason I say the COM-100 TDS meter. A lot of meters will read 0.0 even if the water is 0.02. The Com-100 will read that 0.02...... Is it that big of deal ??? maybe not, but all the meters seem to cost around the same price, so why not get the com then