PDA

View Full Version : Replace my MAG pumps? Go to external?

barclayrl
03/25/2008, 01:04 PM
I will be upgrading my 90 to a 120 in the coming months; I am concerned about the heat caused by my 2 mag pumps. I currently run a mag 18 (basement sump 15ft head) that feeds my H&S skimmer and is my return pump. I also run a MAG 3.5 for a return on a small 20L frag tank.

I am worried that summer will bring on the high heat again and was wondering if I would change over to a panworld type external pump if i would see any temp drop.. Since the basement is cool year round, noise or air cooled heat is not going to be an issue.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I would actually like a pump to replace both mags.. And as far as electricity is concerned, hey anything will be less than a chiller!!

If spending the $200-300 towards a chiller would be better than a new pump, that may be what I do also.

Thanks!
Ryan

RGibson
03/25/2008, 01:48 PM
the heat is in the water take the pumps out and go external with some good pumps,used some fans no chiller will be needed. One pump for the return, and one for the skimmer,your reef tank will work much better.Have a good day Ralph

barclayrl
03/26/2008, 09:21 PM
anyone else??