PDA

View Full Version : Price of ASM G3 at LFS

JBuffetReefer
03/25/2008, 09:49 PM
So I go down to my LFS on Sat and buy a new 120g tank with everything except light (which I already had). I got a really good deal for the tank stand & canopy. The sump, pump, salt and sand were pretty reasonablely priced (they even gave me 2 20 lbs bags of sand for free). I was wondering if I overpaid for my new skimmer. They originally told me it was $450 for the skimmer and they didn't have it in stock (it is being delivered tomorrow). I asked them if I could get some kind of package deal and they said they could give me 2 bags of sand and knock $50 off the price of the skimmer, so I only paid $400 for it.

I went to another LFS and asked them their skimmer prices and they said they sold them for $320. I've also looked online and $320 is the average price for it.

Does anyone know what their LFS is selling this skimmer for? I realize that they may have tried to make up some of the money from giving me a discount on the tank and sand, and I paid for convenience.

Any thoughts?

46bfinGA
03/25/2008, 10:20 PM
Thats why I don't buy equipment from LFS stores. Online is the best way to buy. Used is even better.

just dave
03/25/2008, 10:30 PM
One thing I learned a long time ago is that after I purchase something I stop shopping the items I just purchased because you're always going to find it cheaper and end up being unhappy.
I guess the way you should look at it is do you feel like you got a good deal overall with everything as a package ? I guess you did because you did buy it.

JBuffetReefer
03/25/2008, 10:49 PM
overall happy yes. I was just curious.

JBuffetReefer
03/25/2008, 11:10 PM
I can't help but to keep shopping. I probably still saved between $400-500. Plus, I have been shopping around for a new setup and overall they were the only ones to have a good price. Unfortunately I didn't look up skimmer prices before going. I wasn't sure what they were going to recommend or have in stock and I needed everything all at once.

Keep in mind my current skimmer is a coralife 125 on a 70g tank, so this obviously an nice upgrade.

TIMMYE
03/25/2008, 11:28 PM
Also that 320 price does not have shipping on it. So I would say in the ong run with what you got and what you paid and it was a good deal, and you supported one of your LFS and a local business.

civicunrest
03/25/2008, 11:39 PM
Yeah, it does sound like you paid a bit of a premium, but sometimes it's worth it just to build up relations with the LFS and possibly get some future hookups. :-)

JBuffetReefer
03/25/2008, 11:44 PM
I've probably saved that $80 just in buying their salt. They sell coralife for $29 a bucket! Needless to say I have taken advantage of that price. I have heard that this is a cheap salt, but I have never had a problem with it, and now that I have a new and bigger tank, I will definately be using more salt!