PDA

View Full Version : 65 gallon Sea Horse tank?

sw1tched
03/26/2008, 08:59 AM
I have been tossing around the idea of setting up a spare 65 gallon tank as a Sea Horse tank. I wanted to add a couple other fish as well. I was hoping to get some opinions. A mated pair of twin spot gobies, a couple clown gobies, a few peppermint shrimp (these may someday become food, but they’re cheap enough), maybe a few bangai cardinals. I can pull some rocks from my sump in my 125 that are crawling with pods to help the SH’s get settled, and I would make a fuge in the sump to keep the population of pods up. I have a pump that pushes around 400 gph to pump water back from the sump and a powerhead that does around 320 gph. I know I don’t want too much turnover, but I also don’t want algae build up. If I am missing something, let me know. Bring on the criticism.
-Joe

pledosophy
03/26/2008, 02:03 PM
Sounds good.

You'll want to drop the temp to around 72.

Want to make sure there are calm areas in the system to, seahorses like a place to retreat to.

IME seahorses are more concerned with getting a good amount of mysis then they are with pods. My seahorses never really paid attention to the pods at all. JME

sw1tched
03/26/2008, 02:16 PM
thanks for the input
72 degrees should be fairly easy in my house. my QT tank has been without a heater for a couple weeks now & stays around that temp. I was going to run a dual actinic 48 inch fixture so heat wont be an issue. I feed frozen Mysis in my 125 so I would just use it to feed in the new tank. Any thoughts on keeping other docile fish with the sea horses?
-Joe

sw1tched
03/28/2008, 08:30 AM
Is it possible to keep a pencil urchin with sea horses? looks like this: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=356&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4
Thanks - Joe