PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Here Saying Hi With Some Questions...

MrRoo
03/26/2008, 11:26 AM
I use to have a 150 gallon reef setup years and years ago and I have been out of the game for almost 10 years. I decided to get back into it and started researching it and talking to people and I hated having a sump setup and was told the new canisters were good and for fish only there was no need for a sump. I got a little carried away today and bought a tank and new equipment. This is what I purchsed:
60gallon tank w/ tank and canopy
JBJ Reaction Canister Filter with UV
Prizm Protein Skimmer
60lbs live rock and Sand
Basic light kit for some soft corals.

Now I know the importance of a good cycle and I am in NO RUSH to put fishies in the tank. I did add some bacteria to speed up the process and to give it a kick start (and no I did not pee in my tank). I know I am looking for the purple algae (forgot the name) as a sign that my tank is finished cycling. Right now I do not have the protein skimmer running nor the UV since I added the bacteria but I will turn it on in a week or so. My questions are this:
1) Is that canister filter good enough for a fish only tank and maybe 1 anenome for a lonely clown fish? I really don't want to go the sump route.
2) For the life of me I cannot remember how long the cycle process should take.
3) Good protein skimmer?
4) when I start to see the green algae bloom I should put in some cleaner crews correct?
5) Carbon.... yes I know some people hate and some people like it. Give it to me dirty.... Right now I have it in the skimmer(not currently on) and the canister. I use to always use carbon and never had anything bad to say about it.
6) First water change should be after my first cycle correct? I should then do a 15% and then after the first do a 10% once a week correct?
7) Should I turn the UV on? I thought it was a nice touch and I know in a fish only tank it will help with diseases and such.

As of right now that is all and I would just like to say thanks and it feels good to be back

Jamie

MrRoo
03/26/2008, 11:27 AM
Another few questions:
Should I place a powerhead behind my LR to get flow back there?
Also what powerhead would you suggest for the tank to give it more flow. Right now I have the inlet tube on the left, return tube on the right with the protein skimmer on the left as well.

masonicman
03/26/2008, 11:58 AM
[welcome]

seapug
03/26/2008, 12:19 PM
1. An overflow/sump setup would make your life a lot easier and works better in the long run. Plus you can use it to house all the junk that would otherwise be in the display or hanging off the side.
2. Cycling time can vary but 30 days is typical.
3. Plenty of them. I personally use a EuroReef USA and love it. But it is a sump-based skimmer.
4. Yeah, that's a good indicator.
5. I love carbon, but don't use a cheap brand or one that is not specifically made for a reef use. Seachem Matrix is my personal favorite.
6. Other people disagree, but I do water changes during the cycle. The bacteria grows on surfaces in the aquarium, not "in the water" and will continue to produce as long as the rock and substrate provides ammonia. maintaining good pH and Alkalinity through water changes during the cycle can preserve more life on the rocks.
7. I'd wait to use the UV until you are ready to start stocking. If nothing else, you won't be wasting the useful lifespan of the bulb.
8. Powerheads are great. A couple of strategically placed Koralia powerheads van give you good, wide, tubulent flow.

welcome and good luck!

EllieSuz
03/26/2008, 12:25 PM
I'm afraid your Prism is going to disappoint you. I struggled with mine for a long time, then installed a sump and better skimmer. You should never take just one person's opinion here, so ask around about this skimmer before it's too late to return it. Knowledge and technology has changed a lot in the last ten years. Suggest you take a breather and study the first couple of links in the "New To The Hobby" forum here. I thought I knew enough from past experience and I'm paying for some bad choices now, so take your time.

MrRoo
03/26/2008, 12:59 PM
My problem with the Prizm is I can't get it to stop leaking! It keeps dripping water from the catch can because it is not sucking up foam it i sucking up water and filling up with water...

coralnub
03/26/2008, 01:06 PM
you have carbon in the skimmer?

MrRoo
03/26/2008, 02:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12183100#post12183100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralnub
you have carbon in the skimmer?

Sounded odd to me as well but it came with the skimmer and the direction said to put it in... Info?

MrRoo
03/26/2008, 03:03 PM
Ok so here is my plan. Keep cycle going with current equipment and a few months down the road buy a QT tank and sump. Cycle the QT tank with the sump and then plug current canister into QT tank and use sump for main tank and get a new skimmer. I already got the look when the SO found out how much I spent so for right now I can't buy anything new. Would that plan work out ok? How long would the sump have to cycle? I would like to use crushed LR in the sump instead of bioballs.

I also added 2 powerheads today. I got the moving ones to move more power and get behind the LR. Here is how I have them setup:
1 in the top front left corner (ruffles the surface):
http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/3/131/1582

1 in the top right rear corner (gets movement behind the rocks):
http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/3/131/1583

Side view:
http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/3/131/1584

Front view:
http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/3/131/1585

I also did my first test so I can start my excel spreadsheet:
High pH: 8.2
Ammonia: .5
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10

MrRoo
03/26/2008, 07:19 PM
Bump to first page :)

BLKTANG
03/26/2008, 07:37 PM
Hello,& welcome to RC.

Looks like your off to a good start.

seanb1
03/26/2008, 07:57 PM
well, if you are going to have a sump and want to have crushed coral in it or rock as you said , it would need to be a pretty good sized sump to accomplish that.

your best bet would be to build yourself a sump out of a 40gal breeder 29 gal tank, its very easy and really cheap to do, and skip sand or rock in it.

i suggest a in-sump skimmer, thats why i tried steering you clear of any rock in the sump, your gonna need room.

in the future you could add a small refugium for any algaes or sand.

therer are some really good skimmers these days, and they are somewhat cheap, for this hobby anyways. i own and really like octopus skimmers they have a good track record and are about as low cost as you will get for a nice reliable well liked skimmer, and then youll be set for when you decide you want corals.

like another poster said just take your time and look at other peoples tanks on here to get what you want.:D

EllieSuz
03/26/2008, 07:58 PM
Many of us depend on the Mag Float algae cleaners. If you redesign your aquascape, try to leave enough room on the sides to allow for cleaning the inside of the glass. Just a suggestion as it's another little tidbit I learned the hard way.