PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Garden Eel

arammell
03/26/2008, 12:49 PM
Has anyone kept a Spotted Garden Eel in a reef?

BangkokMatt
03/26/2008, 01:04 PM
You generally keep them in groups in large reefs. You also need a deep sand bed.
However, I have never kept them.

ksrinlv
03/26/2008, 04:08 PM
No, but I've seen them in public aquariums - absolutely stunning!! Did some research on keeping them after that and decided my tanks weren't suitable, the need really deep and wide sand beds.

fellone
06/29/2008, 02:19 PM
I've had a Juvenile spotted garden eel for about 6 months, its rare i get to see more than an inch below its head... its a cool fish and but very shy at feeding time. I'm pressumimg its getting sufficient food from the sand bed as it hardly moves and its definitely grown (well is head anyway!)

philter4
06/29/2008, 03:35 PM
I've never kept spotted, but I have kept the golden garden eel. I had a really tall cube tank with 6 inches of sand for my jawfish. I happened to see some garden eels while diving a wreck so I tried and got lucky collecting one ( I actually caught 2 but the first one I got out of the sand was snatched by a barracuda that was my dive partner on that particular dive). It did really well, eating everything and becoming less shy after about a month. It eventually was killed by a sun anemone that I stupidly put in the tank as they are deep sand bed anemones that I thought would look cool in the tank has turned out to be a sort of sand habitat tank.