PDA

View Full Version : Mh Lights?

leonel04
03/26/2008, 02:52 PM
Hi all, please tell the best place with the best prices to buy MH LIGHTS from? THANKS...

TankZombie
03/26/2008, 03:51 PM
fixture or DIY type?

leonel04
03/26/2008, 07:38 PM
I mean fixture. Thanks

bdare
03/27/2008, 08:53 AM
hellolights.com
reefgeek.com

DarG
03/27/2008, 08:57 AM
Complete fixture ...

Halide only?

Halide with supplemental flourescents (T5, PC ...)?

Very important ... What is your budget?

leonel04
03/27/2008, 10:29 AM
DarG, that will be halide with flourescents.. Thanks for the reply. And my budget is about $800.00

DarG
03/27/2008, 11:03 AM
Depending on how deep your tank is (and wide) an Outer OIrbit with T5 may be a good choice in the 150 watt version. That would be under budget easily. Even the 250 watt version would fit the budget. Dual DE halides, 4 T5's and blue and white LED moonlights. Pretty nice fixtures. Then there is the Aquamedic Ocean Light with 2 T5's and dual halides, no LED's. Coralife (yuck) , Hamilton has combos in your budget and Catalina has some as well. Catalina is supposed to be USA made.

Then there are a few cheap "project" combos with various component issues that need to be adressed up front or in the very near future after purchase. Electronics (ballasts) that dont meet advertising claims for power and are quite honestly garbage and need replacing. These fixtures end up costing close to as much to more money as the good "budget/entry level" fixtures like those mentioned above.

That Current USA Outer Orbit with T5's and LED's is a pretty popular choice among reefers here. Post a thread with the fixtures name in the subject line for opinions/reviews and check out the website www.current-usa.com
Cant go wrong with the Hamilton stuff either and the Aquamedic fixtures are good as well.

leonel04
03/27/2008, 03:41 PM
DarG. i really appreciate all the info. I'm planing on a 125 gallon that will take place 4 weeks from today. i will be moving and have to brake down my 72 bow and why not take advantage of the situation and go bigger. right now i have a no name fixture from ebay that i had to replace the two ballast 2 monts later just like you mention. I'll look into it and maybe increase my budget if i have to. (waiting for uncle sam to show up in my mail box... lol.).
Thanks again.....

DarG
03/27/2008, 06:13 PM
You're welcome and yep, youll go over 800 bucks for the 6 foot fixture from Current. I assumed you needed it for the 72 gallon, sorry. Have you considered a canopy and seperate components? Less money and better light. Or, if you dont mind hanging pendants, that is also an option if you dont want a canopy.

leonel04
03/28/2008, 09:18 AM
DarG, i really don't like the canopy, but will go with pendants. Thanks...

DarG
03/28/2008, 11:48 AM
I see. Im not a big fan of canopies either. You can get some great halide lighting with pendants. Also helps with heat because there is plenty of open space for the heat to vent. Only problem is integrating in some flourescent supplementation and having it look good. Halides only is easy to do neatly with pendants as long as you dont mind the kinda simple, semi industrial look. I guess thats the appeal of halide/flourescent combos ... but you do pay for it.

Happy to add my 2 cents. Good luck!

leonel04
03/28/2008, 09:22 PM
DarG, thank you sooooo much for all the info.... it really help..

DarG
03/28/2008, 09:31 PM
You're welcome, happy to lend a hand.