PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing Frozen Food?

an411
03/26/2008, 03:06 PM
I understand that people rinse there frozen food to get the phosphates out but how is this done?

PoukieBear
03/26/2008, 03:14 PM
you can use a small holed flour sifter to do it.

Personaly, I thaw the food in a small cup of tank water, and dump out the extra water, then add some fresh tank water to it and then feed. Much easier.

I don't think the rinsing is a must. Only if you are having major problems with algea.

Gdevine
03/26/2008, 03:15 PM
Some use a baby bryne shrimp net and RO water. IMO this is way over the top and can indeed wash away added nutrients.

All I do, and it's what many recommend, is let the frozen food completely thaw out on a paper plate then use a butter knife and press the water out of the food. This type of decanter method works great especially if you add selcon as it sucks up pretty fast.

Do this and you'll be fine.

jamest0o0
03/26/2008, 03:20 PM
I prefer to just use tank water to thaw it and then dump it out faster imo

jackets22
03/26/2008, 03:48 PM
But really how much does this even matter? I have been putting the cube in tank water swirling it around until it is thawed then dumping in tank. No problems.

I guess my question would be how much phosphates are being added to the water? Is it enough to make a difference? Please respond with actual facts if you have them. Not just what you think it may add.

PoukieBear
03/26/2008, 03:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12184184#post12184184 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jackets22
But really how much does this even matter? I have been putting the cube in tank water swirling it around until it is thawed then dumping in tank. No problems.

I guess my question would be how much phosphates are being added to the water? Is it enough to make a difference? Please respond with actual facts if you have them. Not just what you think it may add.

I guess that depends on how big your tank is and how good your filtration is.

I honestly don't think that it's a big deal.

jamest0o0
03/26/2008, 03:52 PM
I used to do that until I was told not to, it is no problem for me to thaw it so I just do.....anyway I know you asked for actual facts and I don't have any, but I doubt it can cause any real harm.... I just do it it to help my tank in any way I can....

Gdevine
03/26/2008, 04:41 PM
Excessive nutrients can add up and can cause way more then just algae problems; what do you think fuels aiptasia explosions, too many fire worms or too many sponges...the list goes on?

Aquarist007
03/26/2008, 04:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12184184#post12184184 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jackets22

that kind of limits responses to your post doesn't it;)

Aquarist007
03/26/2008, 05:04 PM

that kind of limits responses to your post doesn't it;)

Aquarist007
03/26/2008, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12184223#post12184223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamest0o0
I used to do that until I was told not to, it is no problem for me to thaw it so I just do.....anyway I know you asked for actual facts and I don't have any, but I doubt it can cause any real harm.... I just do it it to help my tank in any way I can....

I think it could be a contributing factor to an algae problem if experincing one. Usually when fighting an algae problem you try to limit your phosphates to zero so any thing that you feel is importing them you try to curb. That includes the amt you are feeding, washing off frozen cubes, using ro water etc etc.
If your tank is free from algae and your phosphates are at zero then a few cubes of mysis isn't going to be enough to cause a bloom.

jamest0o0
03/26/2008, 05:17 PM
I had some glass algae comming up about 2 months ago, but my snails cleaned it up and havn't seen algae in months(same goes for diatoms) right now I just have to work on cleaning up some detritus to lower nitrates....

an411
03/26/2008, 05:44 PM
yeah i do not have a serious algae issue i just figure why add more phosphates to the tank. I guess like someone else asked how much phosphates is this adding to the tank? I take it that if phosphates are not coming from food what other sources contribute to detectable levels?

Aquarist007
03/26/2008, 06:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12184895#post12184895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by an411
yeah i do not have a serious algae issue i just figure why add more phosphates to the tank. I guess like someone else asked how much phosphates is this adding to the tank? I take it that if phosphates are not coming from food what other sources contribute to detectable levels?

also someone with a dedicated sps tank would worry about every little bit of phosphate added but lps and softies are generally more forgiving.

an411
03/26/2008, 06:17 PM
yeah this is what I am aiming for only have 2 sps corals and a zoo frag but do want an sps dominate tank. I like things to be perfect or as close as I can. which why I like to take every precaution I can

seanb1
03/26/2008, 07:17 PM

I guess my question would be how much phosphates are being added to the water? Is it enough to make a difference? Please respond with actual facts if you have them. Not just what you think it may add. i dont think there are any studies done on the subject.

common sense would tell you that any juice that wouldnt be eaten but disolved into the water column adds to nutrients in the column.

its not a mystery, just an idea.

iwishtofish
03/26/2008, 08:24 PM
It isn't hard to rinse frozen food at all. I break up my cubes of mysis by placing them in a ziplock bag, removing the air, and whacking them with a hard object. Then I put whatever quantity of frozen chunks I think I need into a plastic baby bottle strainer, and pour RO/DI water over them until they are melted and are rinsed. Takes just a few minutes.

Kep
03/26/2008, 09:28 PM
What a bunch of crap. Again, it's a case of paranoia. If you are really THAT concerned with getting rid of algae, get rid of your fish and stop feeding.

Aquarist007
03/26/2008, 09:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12186683#post12186683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kep
What a bunch of crap. Again, it's a case of paranoia. If you are really THAT concerned with getting rid of algae, get rid of your fish and stop feeding.

nice comment and nice attitude--added alot to our discussion:(

jamest0o0
03/26/2008, 09:55 PM
how is that crap, especially when one has spent thousands of dollars on a tank that they like so much.... I'm not saying if you don't rinse you are guaranteed to destroy your tank, but better safe than sorry if.... I can do something that takes maybe 2 extra minutes to prevent something bad from happening down the road, why not do it?(I havn't spent thousandS of dollars YET lol, but I know a lot of people have)

tmz
03/27/2008, 12:15 AM
Crap,paranoia, it doesn't matter anyway. Seems we are setting new standards for poor lazy husbandry and rudeness. And let's not forget the old I think this so unless you have scientific fact to the contrary don't speak.

Well ,I've used frozen food without rinsing and when I started rinsing nutrients dropped and it helped in eleiminating nuisance algae. The packing water is full of phosphate and other nasty stuff .Just look at it or if you must go ahead and test it.
I use a brine shrimp net and ro water and don't consider it over the top at all.It is easy to do. Place a day or two's food in a plastic coffee can or other container . Fill it with tap water.Let it thaw .Dump the contents through the brine shrimp net. Dump the contents of the brineshrimp net back into the now empty can and top off with a little ro/di water and if you like selcon and/or garlic. Feed with a turkey baster. Place the remaining mixture in the fridge for the next feeding.
In fact there have been studies . The November issue of Coral magazine 2006 documents a study of frozen foods The findings note ther is vibrio bacteria in most frozen foods and these bacteria can can be harmful to fish. They reccommend a thorough rinse with tap water as a control.

Aquarist007
03/27/2008, 07:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12187652#post12187652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
Crap,paranoia, it doesn't matter anyway. Seems we are setting new standards for poor lazy husbandry and rudeness. And let's not forget the old I think this so unless you have scientific fact to the contrary don't speak.

Well ,I've used frozen food without rinsing and when I started rinsing nutrients dropped and it helped in eleiminating nuisance algae. The packing water is full of phosphate and other nasty stuff .Just look at it or if you must go ahead and test it.
I use a brine shrimp net and ro water and don't consider it over the top at all.It is easy to do. Place a day or two's food in a plastic coffee can or other container . Fill it with tap water.Let it thaw .Dump the contents through the brine shrimp net. Dump the contents of the brineshrimp net back into the now empty can and top off with a little ro/di water and if you like selcon and/or garlic. Feed with a turkey baster. Place the remaining mixture in the fridge for the next feeding.
In fact there have been studies . The November issue of Coral magazine 2006 documents a study of frozen foods The findings note ther is vibrio bacteria in most frozen foods and these bacteria can can be harmful to fish. They reccommend a thorough rinse with tap water as a control.

well stated as usual Tom

And I agree with you, having posted on this site a "few times" that standards of posting on Reef Central seem to be a touch slack lately.
I have the upmost respect for moderators on this site---many of them I consider mentors and are experts in themselves and have a way of backing you, even if you are a little misconceived, without you feeling a put down.

but the posting lately--like the one above, witnessed a poster call another a jerk, someone else put down all diy projects very ignorantly, letting "young reefers" spoil excellent threads by caring on idol chit chats just to keep the thread moving along etc ect.
Maybe its because this site is increasing its membership exponentially but IMO I think the mods need to crack down a little and at least reply to some of these rogue posters that this is not acceptable.
The power of this site is that many many reefers are able to get together and discuss there ideas, learn from others, without fear of being personally attacked.

an411
03/27/2008, 07:49 AM
capn_hylinur I think that is well said I never take offense to people on here really to me a lot of time its a matter of opinion with some of these people. I think a lot of people don't understand is that everyones tanks and expectations are different. Also that is why there are people on here that are successful and others unsuccessful. I always take precaution to everything that goes into the tank and want to limit as much nutrients as possible. Yeah sure I dont think that its going to make or break my 120gal but just a precaution.

Aquarist007
03/27/2008, 07:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12188308#post12188308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by an411
capn_hylinur I think that is well said I never take offense to people on here really to me a lot of time its a matter of opinion with some of these people. I think a lot of people don't understand is that everyones tanks and expectations are different. Also that is why there are people on here that are successful and others unsuccessful. I always take precaution to everything that goes into the tank and want to limit as much nutrients as possible. Yeah sure I dont think that its going to make or break my 120gal but just a precaution.

appreciate your post an411---I had thought after posting that I may of hi jacked your thread-by coming on a touch strong--but your words reaasure me that I didn't:smokin:

Gdevine
03/27/2008, 07:58 AM
I haven't been in the "New to the Hobby" forum for some time but what amazes me more then anything else is how heated some of these debates can get especially when some of the standards of care dictate. De-cantering or rinsing frozen foods has been recommended by experts for years and is practiced by many for just as long. In fact, one RC member did a test of phosphates in frozen foods some months ago and posted results here and the numbers were amazing.

I don't know the answer other then it's a free country and freedom of speech is what it is... Respect however for others is an entirely different discussion.

I decanter my frozen food and will continue to do so ... and my tank has zero phosphates and NO algae problems whatsoever.

Aquarist007
03/27/2008, 08:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12188391#post12188391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gdevine
I haven't been in the "New to the Hobby" forum for some time but what amazes me more then anything else is how heated some of these debates can get especially when some of the standards of care dictate. De-cantering or rinsing frozen foods has been recommended by experts for years and is practiced by many for just as long. In fact, one RC member did a test of phosphates in frozen foods some months ago and posted results here and the numbers were amazing.

I don't know the answer other then it's a free country and freedom of speech is what it is... Respect however for others is an entirely different discussion.

I decanter my frozen food and will continue to do so ... and my tank has zero phosphates and NO algae problems whatsoever.

mine tank also--but what I can guarantee is that if I throw two cubes of frozen mysis in my tank at night, then for the next few days I will have some nuisance algae on the glass--not scientific but it has happened to me on two or three occasions.

Savas
03/27/2008, 08:23 AM
I think what people get confused with is the difference between a scientific proven fact and a recognized best practice. When people ask questions their expectation is typically based on one of these expectations. Replies on the other hand switch based on what expectation the replier is using.